Chapter 21

"Hey, can I ask you a question?" Nathan asked. "You already did." I joked. "Yeah, sure." "What do you think about football or sports in general?" I had no idea what he actually wanted to hear, so I told him the truth. "Well, I'm not into sports and all that and sometimes the players can be assholes." He sighed in relief. "Why do you ask?" "Because football is what all those fucking popular guys do. And my dad forced me to enter the team once. When I was like... 14 or so." Nathan told me. "He... forced you? What the fuck!" "Yeah, he bought off the coach, but... Everything I got was just... bullying and injuries. Just because of my stupid father and the 'Prescott-name'." Shit, I saw a tear in his eyes, sadness mixed with anger. "Now he's coming to the football match tomorrow. Just to show up. And I don't want to be there then." "Well, I could go there with you, if you have to go. Otherwise, we could stay in your room or in my room, so that your dad doesn't know where you are. Just if you want." I suggested. "Thank you. Honestly, you care and try to solve my problems and I'd love to spend the time alone with you, but I don't know if..." Nathan started but then I interrupted him. "Let's see what's going to happen. Maybe there will be some kind of miracle before tomorrow evening." Nathan had to smile, although he didn't want to. "Oh, and I wanted to ask if you want to go to the Vortex club party on Saturday with me." "I'm... not really into partying. I don't know." "Please go there with me. We could always leave if you don't like it." Nathan tried to convince me and I had to admit that he had a talent for that so I gave up arguing at some point. "Fine. I'll come." I sighed and saw a smirk in the face of my boyfriend.

After lunch, I had another class which seemed to pass by quickly, possibly because I was looking forward to the last period this day- photography. The break between the two periods was only five minutes long, so I had to rush into the classroom, where I already saw Nathan sitting at the same table we sat in the last lesson. I smiled and walked over to him. When I was there, he stood up and kissed me, which made me feel uncomfortable thinking about all the people who were already there too. Max, Kate and also Victoria, who gave me an angry look again. I really like Nathan but I didn't want that, so I pulled away and sat down.

Class started and Mr. Jefferson gave us information for the 'Everyday Heroes Contest'. "You all can submit a photo of all the everyday heroes in this world, I will chose the best one and I'll fly with the winner to San Francisco where you'll be feted by the art world. It's great exposure and it can kickstart a career in photography." He said. I had no idea how to take shots of other people but it sounded quite nice. Then Mr. Jefferson told us about San Francisco and what the city was like before he started to tell us about 'Daguerreotypes'. Victoria quickly raised her arm. "Louis Daguerre was a frensh painter who created 'Daguerreotypes', a process that gave portraits a sharp reflective style, like a mirror." I was actually truly impressed by her knowledge and respected that, but I still didn't like her as human. There were also some other conversations between Victoria and Mr. Jefferson and I still thought that they had no normal relationship between teacher and student though I basically didn't give a fuck. After endless conversations between them, the school bell rang and we were free. I put my pen and paper into my bag and left the school building together with Nathan, hand in hand.