Chapter 10

As Steve and Rachel wait for Tony's signal, they receive information stating that hostiles in Shield gear have breached the perimeter. Just a few seconds later, a group of Shield agents arrive at the engine causing Steve and Rachel to watch them suspiciously while staying out of their sight. Suddenly, an agent throws a grenade towards the engine and Steve quickly jumps across the platform and deflects the grenade towards the open air. He quickly jumps down and attacks the agents but one manages to throw another grenade towards the engine. Steve can only watch as it explodes but the explosion remains small as it's surrounded by violet energy. He glances up at Rachel standing on the platform to see her holding her hands towards the grenade, with the same violet energy surrounding her hands. Rachel strains as she contains the explosion with her power, using her energy to stop the grenade from exploding and causing more damage to the engine.

Steve quickly deals with one agent before jumping back up to Rachel to grab the rifle and fire at the remaining agent. Rachel uses as much of her power as she can to contain the explosion before she throws it into the open air and releases it. She takes deep breaths as blood falls from her nose and she leans forward to relax. She looks at Steve to see him looking at her in shock before looking back at the remaining agent. The agents advance on them and has a clear shot of them both so Rachel quickly steps forward and raises her hands, creating a barrier of violet energy in front of Steve and herself. The bullets bounce off the barrier before she thrusts her hands forward, sending the energy towards the agents causing them to be pushed back into the wall and knocked unconscious.

Steve continues to stare at Rachel in shock but before she can say anything the helicarrier starts to tilt when another engine is shut down. Steve and Rachel slide over the edge and Steve quickly grabs a wire and grabs her hand. Rachel hangs onto Steve tightly as she looks down at the drop while Steve hangs on tightly to her and the wire from the helicarrier. "Hang on" Steve yells to her as he starts pulling her up. "Cap, hit the lever" Tony suddenly says through coms. "I need a minute here" Steve responds as Rachel grabs the wire. "Lever, now!" Tony states and Rachel pulls herself up the wire as quickly as she can. As she reaches the platform, another agent starts firing at her but she avoids their gunfire and reaches up for the lever. She pulls it quickly before turning around and offering a hand to Steve. He takes her hand and she pulls him up while trying to stay out of the agents line of fire.

Tony flies into the agent and knocks him unconscious while Rachel and Steve lean against the wall, breathing deeply. They glance at each other and Rachel chuckles exhaustedly, making Steve smile at her in response. For a moment, they both forget about the bizarre thing that Rachel just revealed. He looks back at her, remembering what she did and she looks back at him. "Don't tell anyone. Please" she pleads quietly before Fury starts talking to everyone through coms.

"Agent Coulson is down" he states and Rachel inhales sharply, raising a hand to her mouth. "A medical team is on its way to your location" an agent responds. "They're here, they called it" Fury replies and Rachel feels the tears fill her eyes. The silence is deafening as Steve climbs to his feet and offers a hand to Rachel. She takes his hand and he helps her to her feet as she fights the tears. "I'm sorry" he says and she nods at him with a smile.

Steve, Tony and Rachel gather at the desk on the bridge with Fury standing before them. Tony having removed his suit, Steve sitting with his suit bottoms and a blue shirt while Rachel sat still wearing her Shield uniform. "These were in Phil Coulson's jacket. I guess he never did get you to sign them" Fury states as he throws a pile of Captain America trading cards onto the desk. Steve reaches forward and picks one up as Rachel stares at them and Tony stares at the floor. "We're dead in the air up here. Our communications, the location of the cube, Banner, Thor. I got nothing for you. I lost my one good eye... Maybe I had that coming" Fury states as he paces the room. "Yes, we were going to build an arsenal with the tesseract. I never put all my chips on that number though because I was playing something even riskier. There was an idea, Stark knows this, called the Avengers Initiative. The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, to see if they become something more. See if they could work together when we needed them to and fight the battles we never could. Phil Coulson died still believing in that idea. In heroes" Fury explains, causing Tony to stand abruptly and leave the room.

"Well, it's an old fashioned notion" Fury states before everyone is left in silence. Rachel wipes a tear from her cheek before standing from her seat and leaving the room. "Rachel" Steve calls and she turns around to see him following her. She stops for him and he seems unsure of what to say to her. Rachel checks her surroundings before speaking. "No one knows about my powers, not even Fury. So Steve, please don't tell anyone" she pleads, starting to panic a little. "I won't, I promise" Steve quickly replies as he takes her hands. She sighs in relief while muttering a 'thank you'. "I don't think anyone would believe me anyway. I don't even know what they are" he replies with a smile and she smiles back at him. "It's telekinesis, I can move things and create balls and shields of energy" she replies, creating a small ball of energy in her hand. "And the nose bleed?" he asks as he points to the dried blood under her nose. "It takes a toll on me, it requires a lot of energy and strength. I also barely use them so that probably effects how much I can handle" she answers with a shrug.

"Ok, well your secret is safe with me" Steve assures her with a smile. "You don't wanna know how I got them?" she questions with a frown. "I figure if you want to tell me, you will" he answers, causing her to smile at him. "Thanks Steve" she says and he nods before they both go separate ways.