Chapter 38

"Do we have an ally?" Nat suggests as a conclusion to the unknown party changing the launch codes. "Ultron's got an enemy. That's not the same thing. Still, I'd pay folding money to know how it is" Fury answers. "I might need to visit Oslo. Find our unknown" Tony states. "Well, this is good times boss. But I was kind of hoping when I saw you, you'd have more than that" Nat tells Fury. "Me too, you're losing your touch" Rachel adds with a grins and Fury glares at her, causing her to chuckle. "I do have more. I have you" Fury replies, ignoring Rachel's comment. "Back in the day, I had eyes everywhere, ears everywhere else. You kids had all the tech you could dream up. Here, we all are, back on Earth, with nothing but our wit and our will to save the world. Ultron says the Avengers are the only thing between him and his mission. And whether or not he admits it, his mission is global destruction. All this, laid in a grave. So stand, outwit the platinum bastard" Fury tells them all confidently.

"Steve doesn't like that kind of talk" Rachel states and smiles at Steve. "You know what Rach?" he threatens and she laughs. "So, what does he want?" Fury asks, bringing everyone's attention back to the matter at hand. "To become better. Better than us. He keeps building bodies" Steve answers. "Person bodies" Tony adds. "The human form is inefficient. Biologically speaking, we're outmoded. But he keeps coming back to it" he explains. "When you two programmed him to protect the human race, you amazingly failed" Nat comments as she glances between Tony and Bruce. "They don't need to be protected. They need to evolve. Ultron's going to evolve" Bruce concludes. "How?" Fury questions. "Has anyone been in contact with Helen Cho?" Bruce answers with the question that causes everyone to realise Ultron's plan.

The team quickly change into their uniforms and go their separate ways. Steve, Rachel, Clint and Nat take the jet to Helen Cho's lab in Seoul while Tony goes to the Nexus to find their 'unknown'. Steve and Rachel jump over the railing on the roof of Helen Cho's lab and make their way inside. They run into the lab to see everything destroyed and the lab practically empty. "Dr Cho!" Rachel says and runs towards her as she pulls herself up to a sitting position. Steve puts pressure on her wound with a cloth as Helen pants. "He's uploading himself into the body" she tells them. "Where?" Steve asks but she only shakes her head. Steve starts standing but she grips his arm, pulling her back down to her. "The real power is inside the cradle. The gem, its power is uncontainable. You can't jut blow it up, you have to get the cradle to Stark" she tells them. "First, we have to find it" Rachel states and Helen nods, telling them to go.

"Did you guys copy that?" Steve asks over comms as they exit the building. "We did" Clint answers. "I got a private jet taking off across town. No manifest. That could be him" Nat suggest. "There. It's a truck from the lab. Right above you Cap, on the loop by the bridge" Clint informs him. "It's them. You got three with the cradle and one in the cab" Clint adds when he scans the truck. "I could take out the driver" Clint suggests. "Negative. That truck crashes, the gem could level the city. We need to draw out Ultron" Steve explains as he and Rachel arrive on the bridge. They nod at each other as they watch the truck drive underneath them and jump off the bridge, landing on the truck's roof.

Steve rolls off the back and holds onto the top of the truck doors. Suddenly, Ultron blasts the door and it opens and Steve holds on tight. Ultron blasts the door off it hinges and Steve lands on the door as it's dragged behind the truck. "Well, he's definitely unhappy" Rachel comments as she looks down at Steve from the roof of the truck. "Let's try keeping him that way" Steve replies. "You're no match for him Cap" Clint adds. "Thanks Barton" Steve mutters. Before Steve can get into the truck, Ultron blasts the door again and he lands on the windscreen of the car behind the truck. He quickly jumps between cars and swings back onto the roof to join Rachel.

Ultron arrives on the roof and Rachel and Steve prepare for the fight. "You know what's in that cradle. The power to make real change, and that terrifies you" he states as he sends a blast their way, Steve using his shield against it. "I wouldn't call it a comfort" Steve replies and throws his shield at Ultron. Ultron repeatedly sends blasts at them but Steve continues to throw his shield at him while Rachel throws her balls of energy at him, knocking him off balance. When Steve's shield embeds itself in Ultron chest, he knocks off and it lands on the road, leaving Steve without his weapon. Ultron blasts Steve and he lands in front of the truck's windshield, he avoids the bot's hits while Rachel continues to fight Ultron on the roof.

She avoids one of Ultron's blasts and sends her own energy towards him. He blasts her energy and they collide, causing a small explosion in the air. Rachel looks in shock, not expecting a reaction like that but before she can dwell on it, Ultron blasts her. She lands on the roof with a grunt but before Ultron can attack her again, Steve wraps his arms around Ultron's neck and starts hand to hand combat with him. Ultron wraps his hand around Steve's neck and holds him over the edge of the roof. Nat arrives on her bike with Steve's shield and throws it up to him, it latches onto Steve's arm and he hits Ultron with it. Ultron raises a chunk of the road to block Nat's path and Steve and Rachel are once again, alone to fight Ultron.