Chapter 22

"In 1972, I received a terminal diagnosis. Science could not save my body, my mind, however, that was worth saving on 200,000 feet of databanks. You are standing in my brain" Zola explains to the group. "How did you get here?" Steve questions, clearly not in the mood to be messed about with. "Invited" Zola states. "It was Operation Paperclip after World War II. Shield recruited German scientists with strategic value" Nat explains while they all share confused glances. "They thought I could help their cause. I also helped my own" Zola elaborates. "Hydra died with the Red Skull" Steve argues, getting frustrated. "Cut off one head, two more shall take its place" Zola argues. "Prove it" Steve challenges.

"Accessing archives. Hydra was founded on the belief that humanity could not be trusted with its own freedom. What we did not realise, is that when you try to take that freedom, they will resist. The war taught us much, humanity needed to surrender its freedom willingly. After the war Shield was founded and I was recruited. A beautiful parasite inside Shield. For 70 years, Hydra has been secretly feeding crisis, reaping war, and when history did not cooperate. History was changed" Zola explains while playing footage on the screens. "That's impossible, Shield would've stopped you" Nat states in disbelief. "Accidents will happen" Zola argues as he shows newspaper articles about Tony's parents' accident and Fury's death. "Hydra created a world so chaotic, that humanity is finally ready to sacrifice its freedom to gain its security" Zola continues.

"We won Captain. Your death amounts to the same as your life, a zero sum" Zola states and Steve punches the screen but Zola only appears on another one. "As I was saying-" he starts. "What's on this drive?" Steve demands. "Project Insight requires insight. So I wrote an algorithm" Zola explains. "What kind of algorithm? What does it do?" Nat questions from behind Steve. "The answer to your question is fascinating. Unfortunately, you shall be too dead to hear it" Zola states and the doors they entered through start to close. Steve throws his shield to try and keep them open but is too slow and the doors lock closed. "Steve, we got a bogie, short range, ballistic, 30 seconds tops" Nat informs Steve. "Who fired it?" he questions worriedly. "Shield" Nat answers and we all share a concerned glance. "I'm afraid I have been stalling Captain. We are both of us, out of time" Zola explains.

Steve pulls the grate on the floor up and ushers Nat and Rachel inside. Nat grabs the drive before both her and Rachel run towards Steve. Just as the three jump into the gap in the floor, the missile hits and the building starts collapsing in on them. Steve tries squeezing himself, Nat and Rachel under the shield while holding it up. Rachel uses her powers to support the shield and hold debris off of them. Steve starts yelling as he uses all his strength to keep them from getting crushed. Meanwhile, Rachel feels the continuous flow of blood from her nose as she uses more energy than she has in a long time, possibly ever.

Steve groans as he pushes the debris away from them to allow them a way out. Rachel uses her powers to push it as well and it collapses. They both start coughing and Rachel relaxes against a piece of debris to try and catch her breath. "Rach, you ok?" Steve asks her as he kneels down in front of her. "Yeah, we gotta go" she replies tiredly. Steve nods and quickly picks up Nat, who's unconscious and carries her out. Rachel stays as close to Steve as she can but she's exhausted and occasionally loses her footing. The sound of jets can be heard and both Steve and Rachel look up to see jets flying towards them so they get back to the truck as fast as they can.

They arrive at their truck and Steve lies Nat down in the backseat after checking she's ok while Rachel leans against the car, catching her breath and trying to focus her vision. "Rach, are you ok?" Steve asks as he stands in front of her. "I'm fine, I'm just tired" she assures him with a smile. However, she stands up straight and loses her balance as everything starts to spin and she feels like she's about to pass out. Steve quickly wraps an arm around her waist and keeps her on her feet. "Woah, Rach look at me" he says as he cups her face with his spare hand. "I'm ok" she breathes as she nods at him.

She tries to stand on her own but loses her balance again as her world starts spinning again so Steve holds onto her tight. "Relax" he assures her before he wraps his other arm under her legs and lifts her off her feet. She relaxes against him as he carries her around to the passenger side and places her in the seat. Steve quickly opens the glovebox and finds a bunch of tissues so he takes them out and wipes the blood from Rachel's nose. Rachel stops him and takes the tissue from his hand. "Steve, we need to go" she tells him and he nods before reluctantly closing her door and getting into the driver's seat.

"Are you ok?" Rachel asks him once their on the road. "I'm fine, don't worry about me" he replies as he takes her hand and glances at her, seeing her incredibly tired expression. "I can't help it" she responds with a smile as her eyes flutter shut. She opens them again to see him already looking at her, he glances at the road before squeezing her hand. "Get some rest. You've got a few hours" he assures her and she nods before allowing her eyes to close and get the rest she desperately needs. Steve watches her close her eyes and relaxes, knowing she's resting after exerting herself so much.