Chapter 44

Steve and Rachel get out of bed and Steve starts making some food. Rachel excuses herself to the bathroom and grabs her phone on her way. She locks the bathroom door and reopens the messages. She starts the video to see her mistress staring back at her, sending shivers down her spine. And when the mistress starts to speak, Rachel can feel her heart rate quicken.

"Hello Rachel, or should I say 'Violet'. It's been a long time. Now, let's get straight to it, shall we? You are gonna come back to the agency without a word to any of your superhero friends and you're going to work for me again. Just like old times. Be at the following coordinates at 4am tomorrow or I'll send my men after your new little family. See you soon" the mistress says with a grin and Rachel's eyes never left the screen as tears filled her eyes. She can't let them hurt Steve or anyone on the team. They're her family, the closest thing she has to one. She closes the video to see a set of coordinates sent since she'd opened the messages this morning. She clicks on the coordinates to see where they are before closing her phone.

She leans against the sink as she takes deep breaths. How could she let this happen? She should've known they'd come back for her. She escaped when she was 22 which was 8 years ago. She took that time for granted, she lived her life and did everything she could to forget the tortures she went through for 6 years. She needs to go back but this time when she leaves the agency, there'll be nothing to go back to. She raises her head to see her reflection in the mirror, she wipes the tears and leaves the bathroom. A new sense of determination fills her being as she meets Steve in the kitchen, where Nat and Clint were also sitting for dinner.

---

That night, Rachel waits for Steve to fall asleep, until she's sure he's fast asleep, with his arms wrapped around her waist. She carefully untangles herself from his arms and slips out of the bed. As quietly as possible, she changes into a pair of black jeans, a white shirt and her leather jacket. She sits at the desk and writes a note for Steve, leaving it on her bedside table, beside her phone that she was leaving behind. She didn't bother packing a bag because they'd confiscate anything that she brought with her. She doesn't even bring a gun with her.  She grabs the door handle but before opening it, she looks back at Steve who's still sleeping peacefully, completely oblivious to what she's doing. Completely unaware that she's leaving and wouldn't be back for a while. She walks over to his sleeping form and gently kisses his cheek as she runs her fingers through his hair. He doesn't move at all and she carefully pulls away and makes her way to the door, opening it and stepping out without looking back.

She arrives at the coordinates at 4am, as instructed, to see her mistress with a group of 6 men standing beside her. "Well, you got what you wanted. I'm here" Rachel states, raising her arms and makes her way towards her. "Stay right there" the mistress orders and nods to one of the men. He comes over and checks her for any weapons or form of communication. "I trust that you didn't tell anyone about this" the mistress assumes when the man is finished searching her. "You threatened them so no" Rachel replies obviously. "Perfect. Now, just as a precaution, you have to wear this" the mistress states and one of the men approaches Rachel, with a bracelet in his hand. "We can't risk you using your powers" the mistress elaborates and the man latches the bracelet on Rachel's wrist.

Rachel feels a rush of energy being taken from her and for a moment loses her balance. Even though she didn't use her powers for 5 years while working at Shield, her powers were still a part of her and must've supplied some of her energy. Her endurance was better than most agents and she realises now that it was because of the additional power and strength that her abilities provided her. So, now that this bracelet was restricting her powers, it was restricting the source of energy that her abilities gave her. "Follow me" the mistress orders and Rachel reluctantly follows her, knowing that she's being taken to the last place on Earth that she wants to go. But she just reminds herself of why she's here. To take this place down, once and for all.

---

That morning, Steve reaches across the bed to hug Rachel but finds her side empty. He opens his eyes to see no sign of Rachel in bed or in their room. "Rach?" he calls out but he's met with silence. He glances to her bedside table to see her phone still on charge and a piece of paper. He reaches over and starts reading the note left for him.

Steve,
I have some things to take care of but I'll be back. I promise. I have to do this alone. I can't risk putting you or anyone else in danger. Please don't come looking for me. I need to know that you're home and safe. I love you so much and I'll be home as soon as I can. I promise you, I'll come home to you. I'm sorry. I love you!
Love, your Rachel xx

Steve stares at the note in his hand, not knowing what to do. She's asked him not to look for her, she doesn't want to risk his safety. But what about her safety? He sighs deeply, knowing that no matter what he'll respect her wishes and he'll be waiting here for her to come home. Hopefully, sooner rather than later.