Chapter 37

"What about you? Are you okay?" Rachel asks Steve and raises her hand to his cheek. "I'm okay, don't worry about me" he replies with a smile. "Steve, don't be reluctant to talk to me just because of what I just told you" she states pleadingly and Steve sighs before staring at her. He realises that he needs to get this off his chest just as much as she needed to get her vision off of hers. "I was in a club in the fourties, after the war had ended. Everything was so overwhelming and then... Then Peggy was there and we were dancing, just like we had planned. The next thing I knew, everyone was gone. But you were there and I held onto you so tight, but you still disappeared. And I was alone, again" Steve explains to her and a few silent tears fall down his cheeks. Rachel reaches up and wipes his tears, understanding his fear of being alone since he lost everything when he crashed the plane and now he's afraid of losing what he's gained since then.

She shuffles closer to him and wraps her arms around his neck. "Steve, I am not gonna leave you. No one could make me leave you because I love you and I don't know what I'd do without you" she assures him as he wraps his arms around her waist. "I don't know what I'd do without you either. Which is why I can't lose you" he replies as his voice breaks and he drops his head down and closes his eyes. "You aren't gonna lose me" she assures him and cups his face, raising it so that he locks eyes with her. "I love you and there's no one I trust more. You can't get rid of me" she tells him, causing him to chuckle at her. "I love and trust you too" he reciprocates as he pulls her closer to him, tightening his grip around her as they smile at each other and share a passionate kiss.

"Wanna get some air?" Steve suggests. "No, I'm gonna see if Laura needs any help" she answers. "Right, about that" he chuckles. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you. The less people who knew, the better" she apologises with a smile. "That's okay, I'm not surprised you knew. He's your best friend" he responds with a shrug. "Well, I'll see you later okay?" she states and kisses his cheek before getting up and leaving to find Laura. "Hey Laura, do you need a hand with anything?" she asks when she finds Laura in the kitchen. "No, sweetie you should go rest" she replies, resting a hand on her arm. "No, Laur I'm fine" Rachel assures her. "Sweetie. You may not want to admit it, but you're exhausted. I know you all took a hit and you're allowed to get some rest. Go upstairs, get some sleep" Laura encourages her and Rachel pulls her into a hug. "Thank you" she whispers before pulling away and going upstairs to sleep for a while. If she's being honest with herself, she is exhausted and really wants to sleep.

---

Fury arrives and claims he has news for the team and everyone gathers inside. Laura tells Steve that Rachel went upstairs to get some rest so Steve makes his way up to get her. He enters the room to see her curled up on the bed, on top of the covers. He sits beside her and studies her surprisingly calm features. Now that he knows about her nightmares and what Wanda showed her, he assumed that she'd struggle to sleep but she seems so peaceful. So peaceful that he doesn't want to wake her.

Reluctantly he starts rubbing circles on her back to wake her slowly. "Rach" he says softly when she starts to stir. He moves his hand from her back up to push the hair from her face. She opens her eyes and gives him a smile when she sees him watching her. "Sorry, but Fury's here. He says he's got news" he apologises and she sits up. "It's okay, let's go" she replies and they both stand, Rachel rubbing her eyes as she does so and make their way downstairs, hand in hand.

"Ultron took you folks out of the play to buy himself time. My contacts all say he's building something. The amount of vibranium he made off with, I don't think it's just one thing" Fury explains as he cleans dishes at the sink. Lila runs over to Nat, handing her a painting of a butterfly before running around to Rachel who's standing beside Steve. Since they told each other about their visions and fears of losing each other, they feel the need to be close when they can. Lila hands a drawing of a flower and Rachel gives her a thankful smile and hugs her before she runs off to bed. "What about Ultron himself?" Steve questions. "Oh, he's easy to track. He's everywhere. The guy is multiplying faster than a Catholic rabbit. It still doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans though" Fury answers simply.

"Is he still going after launch codes?" Tony asks as he throws darts at the dart board. "Yes, he is. But he's not making any headway" Fury responds. "I cracked the Pentagon's firewall in high school on a dare" Tony states proudly. "Well, I contacted our friends at the nexus about that" Fury continues. "Nexus?" Steve asks. "It's the world internet hub in Oslo. Every byte of data flows through there. Fastest access on Earth" Bruce explains. "So what'd they say?" Clint asks. "He's fixated on the missiles. But the codes are constantly being changed" Fury answers. "By whom?" Tony asks as Clint throws darts at the board and gets a bulls-eye. Tony gives him a look and Clint only shrugs. "Party's unknown" Fury answers Tony. It looks like they've got some investigating to do.