Chapter 29

Rachel avoids a collapsing structure as she makes her way up to Steve when the helicarriers starts firing at each other. She climbs onto the platform and runs over to Steve, who's still leaning against the railing in pain. "Steve" she says as she kneels in front of him and glances at the bullet wound to his abdomen. "You need to go" he pants. "No. I'm not leaving you here" she tells him as she cups his face. "Rach" he starts. "No, Steve! I'm not leaving you here... I can't leave you here" she interrupts and Steve sighs before climbing to his feet. Rachel allows him to lean on her as he stands.

They hear Bucky scream in pain and look down to see him stuck under a collapsed structure. Rachel notices Steve's sad expression as he looks down at his childhood friend. She unhooks her arm from around him and places his arm on the railing before running down to Bucky. Steve starts following Rachel down but slowly. Rachel starts lifting the structure and uses her powers to help her, causing her nose to start bleeding and Steve starts helping her lift it when he reaches them. Bucky crawls out from underneath it and climbs to his feet. When Bucky turns to face them, Steve pushes Rachel behind him as she pants and feels the exhaustion from using her powers.

"You know me" Steve states to Bucky. "No I don't!" Bucky yells and hits Steve. "Bucky, you've known me your whole life" Steve tries convincing him but Bucky just hits him once again. Steve falls to the floor at Rachel's feet and she kneels beside him. "Steve, you have to stop" she pleads as he gets back to his feet. "Your name is James Buchanan Barnes" Steve states in desperation. "Shut up!" Bucky yells and attacks Steve again. "Stop! Please!" Rachel yells in an attempt to stop them both. "I'm not gonna fight you" Steve sighs as he drops his shield and it falls off the carrier. "Steve" Rachel mutters as she looks at him pleadingly. "You're my friend" he adds as he looks at Bucky. Bucky charges at Steve and tackles him to the ground stating "You're my mission" before he starts repeatedly punching Steve in the face. "Then finish it" Steve replies quietly. "No!" Rachel yells and tries to pry Bucky off of Steve, using the last of her energy. Bucky quickly hits her in the face and she falls onto the glass, almost unconscious. The force of his hit mixed with the pain and exhaustion has pushed her to her limit and all she can do it lie there.

"Because I'm with you till the end of the line" Steve adds weakly and Bucky hesitates slightly. One of the structure collapses and shatters the glass they're all on and Steve and Rachel falls towards the river below them while Bucky hangs from the carrier. Rachel manages to remain conscious as she falls and quickly swims to the surface before she drowned. She starts looking around for Steve but suddenly Bucky surfaces with Steve unconscious. She watches him swim to land and she follows him tiredly.

Bucky drops Steve on the ground and Rachel stands, watching him hesitantly. Bucky removes his gaze from Steve and at her before giving her a nod and starts walking away. She rushes to Steve's side to see him breathing and he starts coughing up some water. She supports his head until he's done and his head falls back to the ground. She quickly contacts Nat for help, telling her their location before she collapses beside Steve. The exhaustion and pain finally reaching its limit as she lies unconscious.

---

Rachel sits beside Steve's bed as he lies unconscious with Sam on the other side of the bed. She takes Steve's hand in hers and strokes it with her thumb, while she sits in silence. Sam puts on the Troublemaker soundtrack, claiming it's an inside joke with Steve. When Steve wakes up he feels someone stroking his hand and looks over to see Rachel holding his hand as she stares into space. He gives her hand a squeeze and her attention turns to his hand and then up to his face. She meets his eyes and he smiles at her, a smile that she reciprocates instantly. Steve then looks over to Sam sitting in a chair. "On your left" he mutters before relaxing back against his pillow. Sam chuckles before leaving the room, giving the couple some privacy.

"Are you okay?" Steve asks her concerned. "I'm okay, I'm more worried about you" Rachel answers as she stands and sits on the edge of his bed. "Don't be" he states and Rachel chuckles. "I can't help it" she states with a smile. He laughs at her response before his smile falls. "Bucky?" he asks hopelessly. "He's alive" she states and Steve looks at her shocked. "He pulled you from the river then left" she explains with a shrug. "How do you know that?" Steve frowns. "I fell from the carrier at the same time as you. I was about to look for you in the river when he pulled you out. He left you at the edge of the river, nodded at me and left" she answers and he nods slowly. "We've gotta find him" he states. "We will" she responds in a heartbeat. "I promise" she adds before she leans forward and kisses his cheek.

---

Rachel stands beside Steve with her arms wrapped around his waist while he wraps his arm around her shoulders. Sam stands behind them as they all stare at Fury's grave as they wait for him to arrive. "So you've experienced this sorta thing before?" Fury questions as he arrives. "You get used to it" Steve states as everyone looks at Fury in his disguise. He explains that Hydra agents have escaped and he's heading to Europe. "Wanted to ask if you'd come?" he asks. "There's something I've gotta do first" Steve replies and Fury looks to Rachel for an answer. "I'm helping him first" she states. "How about you, Wilson? Could use a man with your abilities" Fury asks Sam. "I'm more of a soldier than a spy" he replies and Fury nods. Fury shakes everyone's hands before leaving.

Nat makes her presence known and Steve and Rachel make their way towards her. "You're not going with him?" Steve assumes. "No" she confirms. "Not staying here?" Rachel questions. "No, I blew all my covers. I gotta go find a new one" she explains. "That could take a while" Rachel states. "I'm counting on it" Nat smiles before handing a file to Steve. Rachel lets go of Steve and steps forward, pulling Nat into a hug. "Take care of yourself" she says. "You too" Nat replies before pulling away. "Be careful Steve. You might not wanna pull on that thread" she states as she leaves. Steve opens the file to reveal photos of Bucky. "You're going after him" Sam states. "You don't have to come with us" Steve responds. "I know. When do we start?" Sam replies and they all share a smile.