Chapter 12

Steve and Rachel land on the bonnet of an abandoned car in front of a group of cops. "We need men in these buildings, there are people inside and they'll be running right into the line of fire. You take them through the basement or through the subway, you keep them off the streets. I need a perimeter as far back as 39th" Steve orders while Rachel watches their backs. "Why the hell should I take orders from you?" the cop asks shocked. Before Steve can answer, blasts are heard from behind him and he turns around to see aliens heading towards them. Steve shields himself from a blast before two aliens land beside them. Steve and Rachel quickly start attacking them and relieving them of their weapons. Steve pulls Rachel behind him as another alien heads towards them and quickly holds their gun and separates their arm from their body before hitting it in the face. Steve remains still as Rachel looks at the cop before he starts repeating Steve's orders to his men and Rachel chuckles.

They both arrive back with Nat and Clint as they're surrounded by aliens. Steve shields Clint from 2 aliens while Rachel sees one aiming towards Nat. She quickly runs in front of Nat and raises a forcefield in front of them both as the alien fires at them. She thrusts her hands forward and knocks a group of aliens off their feet before lowering her hands. She looks at the three standing around her to see the stunned faces of Nat and Clint and Steve's smile. She smiles back at him before looking back to her friends. Clint slowly nods his head before saying "Cool", causing Rachel to laugh aloud. "You have a lot to tell us" Nat states with a small laugh and Rachel nods her head at her. "I'll tell you, I promise" she states before their attention is drawn back to the aliens advancing towards them.

Before any more Chitauri can reach them Thor calls lightning down on them all before landing unsteadily in front of them. "What's the story upstairs?" Steve asks him. "The power surrounding the cube is impenetrable" Thor answers. "Thor's right, we've gotta deal with these guys" Tony replies through comms. "How do we do this?" Nat asks. "As a team" Steve responds without hesitation. "I have unfinished business with Loki" Thor states. "Yeah? Get in line" Clint responds. "Save it. Loki's gonna keep this fight on us, and that's what we need. Without him these things could run wild. We've got Stark up top, he's going to need us to-" Steve starts giving everyone orders until he's interrupted by the sound of a motorbike. Everyone looks to see Bruce arriving on a bike and make their way towards him.

"So, this all seems horrible" he states as a greeting. "I've seen worse" Nat states. "Sorry" Bruce quickly apologises. "No, we could use a little worse" she responds with a small smile. "Stark, we got him" Steve informs Tony. "Banner?" Tony double-checks. "Just like you said" Steve replies. "Then tell him to suit up, I'm bringing the party to you" Tony orders as he turns a corner and heads straight for the group with a Leviathan on his tail. "I don't see how that's a party" Nat comments, causing Rachel to shoot her a smile. Bruce starts walking towards the Leviathan but is stopped by Steve. "Dr Banner? Now might be a really good time for you to get angry" Steve suggests. "That's my secret Cap, I'm always angry" Bruce replies before turning green and growing in size.

He punches the Leviathan in the mouth and causes its tail to swing up and over its head. "Hold on" Tony states as he fires a missile at the Leviathan's exposed skin. Steve bends over Nat with his shield while Rachel creates her own shield over herself, Thor and Clint. The group gather in a circle as they prepare themselves, Tony scanning the area, Hulk roaring, Clint drawing his bow, Thor gripping his hammer, Nat reloading her gun, Steve tightening his shield and Rachel creating balls of her violet energy in her hands. "Guys" Nat nods to the wave of aliens coming from the portal. "Call it Captain" Tony states, giving Steve the lead. "Alright, listen up. Until we can close that portal up there, our priority is containment. Barton, I want you on that roof, eyes on everything. Call out patterns and strays. Stark, you got the perimeter. Anything gets more than three blocks out, you turn it back or you turn it to ash" Steve orders the pair before Clint asks Tony for a lift. "Better clench up Legolas" Tony states before flying off with Clint.

"Thor, you gotta try and bottleneck that portal, slow them down. You've got the lightning, light the bastards up. Us three, we stay here on the ground. We keep the fighting here. And Hulk, smash" Steve orders the rest of the group before Hulk grins and starts smashing the aliens into walls. Everyone quickly starts doing their jobs and helping each other when they can. Nat, Steve and Rachel stay in the same area as they protect themselves and others from the aliens. Rachel uses her forcefields to shield any civilians in the line of fire while ushering them to somewhere safe. She also throws balls of energy to the aliens but uses her hand to hand combat and weaponry skills as much as she can as she feels herself getting more and more tired, the blood starting to trickle from her nose.

Nat and Rachel defend themselves against the aliens as they stand side by side until Steve lands beside them and Nat raises her alien gun to him and Rachel prepares her powers. Steve only raises his shield to show it's him and in case he needs to use it. "Captain, none of this is gonna mean a damn thing if we don't close that portal" Nat states after taking a few breaths. "Our biggest guns couldn't touch it" Steve replies as they all look up at the portal. "Maybe it's not about guns" Nat states. "If you wanna get up there, you're gonna need a ride" Rachel responds as she glances at the aliens coming towards them. "I got a ride. I could use a boost though" Nat replies as she looks at the alien ships flying over their heads. "Are you sure about this?" Steve questions as he prepares to give her a boost. "Yeah, it'll be fun" Nat answers before running and jumping off his shield and grabbing a ship.