Chapter 69

A rumbling can be heard while everyone fights the creatures and the ground begins to shake. Suddenly, huge devices break through the ground and onto the battle field. They roll across the battlefield like wheels and trample anything in their path. Wanda lands in front of Nat and Okoye to protect them from the devices and uses her powers to raise them off the ground and throw them into the swarms of creatures running towards them. Nat looks at her proudly as Okoye looks stunned. "Why was she up there all this time?" she questions in disbelief.

Meanwhile, Rachel notices a group of the same devices heading straight for Steve, Bucky and a group of Wakandan soldiers. She runs towards them and stands between them and the devices just as they all brace for the impact. She raises her hands and surrounds the devices with her violet energy. She raises them off the ground like Wanda did and looks at the group of creatures coming from their left and their right. She thrusts her hands towards them and the devices are sent across the battlefield, killing any creatures that were making their way towards them.

The large use of her powers drains her quickly and she loses her balance but Steve quickly catches her and holds her on her feet. "Rach" he says as she grips his arm for support. "I'm ok" she nods as she stands straight but keeps her hands on his arms. A few deep breaths have allowed her to regain some strength and energy, at least enough to last her a little longer. She looks over to see Bucky staring at her shocked, unaware that she could do that much with her powers. The most he's seen her do is stop the car from flipping in Vienna. "Wow. That was... impressive" he states in disbelief and she laughs at him. She looks back at Steve to see him smiling at her but with a worried expression. "I'm ok Steve, I promise" she assures him with a smile. He only reaches up and wipes the blood from under her nose. She wipes the rest and holds his face in her hands. "I'll tell you if I feel too weak or tired, I promise" she states, locking eyes with him. "Ok" he nods slowly and she pecks him on the lips before they're attention is drawn back to the battlefield.

"Guys, we got a Vision situation here" Sam informs everyone through comms but is tackled out of the sky by one of the creatures before he can say anymore or try to help Vision. "Somebody get to Vision!" Steve orders in a panic before punching a creature in the face. "I got him" Bruce replies as he flies above him, towards Vision. "On my way" Wanda also replies before she's punched in the face by the female alien. But Nat and Okoye quickly intervene to help Wanda.

When Bruce is separated from Vision he frantically tells the team that Vision needs backup. Rachel tries to give herself the time and space to make her way to Vision but she's too busy dealing with all the creatures charging towards herself, Steve and Bucky. She looks at Steve when he hits one creature. "Go!" she tells him before attacking another creature. He reluctantly runs to Vision's location and when he arrives he sees the alien standing over Vision so he runs straight into him.

"Get out of here!" he shouts to Vision as he climbs to his feet. He attacks the alien as it runs towards him, knocking him to the ground. "Go!" he yells when he sees Vision hasn't moved. Steve continues to fight the alien until he's thrown over a log and lands on the ground with a rough thud. Before he can react the alien wraps his hand around Steve's throat. He grunts as he tries to get free from the alien's grasp but nothing works. That is until Vision uses the alien's own blade to stab him through the chest and he collapses to the floor while Steve gasps for air. Vision falls to his knees as Steve starts to stand so Steve pulls him to his feet. "I thought I told you to go" Steve questions. "We don't trade lives Captain" Vision replies, referring to Steve's earlier comment.

Rachel continues to fight the creatures and helps Bucky whenever she can. "Everybody on my position. We have incoming" Steve orders through comms and Rachel and Bucky glance at each other, noticing the wary tone in his voice. They arrive and stand beside Steve as everyone watches the wind blow the leaves and tree branches, creating an eerie feeling. Suddenly, a blue portal opens and out walks a tall, purple alien. "Cap, that's him" Bruce confirms Thanos' identity. "Eyes up. Stay sharp" Steve informs everyone as he prepares his shields and starts jogging towards Thanos.

Thanos uses the stones to defeat each of them with ease, embedding Bruce in a brick wall, flipping Steve off his feet, deactivating Sam's wings. Rachel stands in front of Wanda as Thanos gets closer. "Wanda, it's time" Vision tells her. "No" Wanda refuses, turning back to Thanos. "They can't stop him Wanda, but we can. Look at me, you have the power to destroy the stone" he tries to convince her. "Don't" she interrupts him, adamant that there's another option. "You must do it Wanda, please. We are out of time" Vision states. "I can't" Wanda says as her lip quivers and the tears collect in her eyes. "Yes, you can. If he gets the stone, half the universe dies. It's not fair. It shouldn't be you but it is. It's alright, you could never hurt me... I just feel you" Vision assures her as he raises her hand in front of his forehead so that she can destroy the stone. And him with it. She forces her magic from her palm as the tears continue to collect in her eyes and prepares to destroy the stone, and the love her life along with it.