Chapter 52

Steve sits on a chair in the compound's living room as he reads through the Sokovia Accords. Rachel sits on the arm of the chair as she skims through the document herself and the more she reads, the more sure she is that she won't be signing it. "Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honour, which is one more than you have" Rhodey says to Sam from behind them. "So let's say we agree to this thing. How long is it gonna be before they lo-jack us like a bunch of common criminals?" Sam asks the group as everyone sits in the living room. "117 countries want to sign this. 117 Sam, and you're just like 'No, it's cool'" Rhodey reminds Sam. "How long are you gonna play both sides?" Sam challenges him.

"I have an equation" Vision interrupts the bickering pair and Rachel is thankful, they were beginning to get on her nerves. "Oh, this will clear it up" Sam states and everyone's attention turns to Vision. "In the 8 years since Mr Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of enhanced persons has grown exponentially. During the same period, the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate" he explains. "Are you saying it's our fault?" Steve questions, breaking his silence. "I'm saying there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge insights conflict. Conflict breeds catastrophe. Oversight, oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand" Vision concludes and Rhodey gives a 'boom' as he turns to Sam.

"Tony, you're being uncharacteristically non-hyperverbal" Nat states, looking over at a quiet Tony. "That's because he's already made up his mind" Steve states. "Boy, you know me so well" Tony responds as he stands to his feet. "Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache. That's what's going on Cap, just pain. It's discomfort. Who's putting coffee granules in the disposal? Am I running a bed and breakfast for biker gang?" Tony says as he enters the kitchen before placing his phone in the fruit basket, revealing a photo of a young boy to everyone.

"Oh, that's Charles Spencer by the way, a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA, had a floor-level gig at Intel planned for the fall. But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul, before he parked it behind a desk. See the world, maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do. He didn't go to Paris or Amsterdam, which sounds fun. He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor, guess where? Sokovia. He wanted to make a difference I suppose. We won't know since we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass. There's no decision making process here. We need to be put in check, whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, if we're boundary-less, we're no better than the bad guys" Tony explains, making his decision very clear to the group while everyone sits quietly.

"Tony, if someone dies on your watch you don't give up" Steve argues. "Who said we're giving up?" Tony questions. "We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blame" Steve states and Rachel silently agrees with him. "I'm sorry Steve. That is dangerously arrogant. This is the United Nations we're talking about. It's not the World Security Council, it's not Shield, it's not Hydra" Rhodey tells Steve. "No, but it's run by people with agendas and agendas change" Steve states. "That's good, that's why I'm here. When I realised what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands, I shut it down and stopped manufacturing" Tony says as he re-enters the living room. "Tony, you chose to do that. If we sign this, we surrender our right to choose. What if this panel sends us somewhere we don't think we should go? What if there's somewhere we need to go and they don't let us? We may not be perfect but the safest hands are still our own" Steve asks everyone. "If we don't do this now, it's gonna be done to us later. That's the fact. That won't be pretty" Tony states.

"You're saying they'll come for me" Wanda states and Rachel's face softens when she looks at her. "We would protect you" Vision assures her. "Maybe Tony's right. If we have one hand on the wheel we can still steer. If we take it off-" Nat starts until Sam interrupts her. "Aren't you the same woman who told the government to kiss her ass a few years ago?" Sam asks her knowingly. "I'm just reading the terrain. We have made some very public mistakes. We need to win their trust back" Nat explains and watches Rachel as she sighs, knowing she wants to sign. "Focus up, I'm sorry. Did I just mishear you or did you just agree with me?" Tony asks. "I want to take it back now" Nat mutters and Tony refuses. "No, you can't retract it. Thank you, unprecedented" he says as Steve's phone buzzes in his pocket.

He takes it from his pocket and reads the message. Rachel catches a glimpse of the number from over his shoulder and can't help but look at the message. 'She's gone. In her sleep.' both Steve and Rachel read and Rachel rests her hand on Steve's shoulder, giving it a comforting squeeze. "I need to go" Steve states and leaves the room before anyone can protest as they watch him walk out. Everyone looks at Rachel confused but she just follows him out.

She finds him leaning against the handrail at the bottom of the staircase with his head in his hand. She approaches him and he raises his head at the sound of her footsteps. She gives him a reassuring smile before resting a hand on his arm. "I'm so sorry Steve" she says and he nods before the tears finally escape his eyes. She wraps him in a tight hug and he holds onto her tight.