Chapter 77

Rachel finds Steve standing outside with his hands on his hips, looking down in defeat. She approaches and rests a hand on his back, causing him to look at her. "We'll figure this out Steve. We won't give up" she assures him as she wraps her arms around his neck, pulling him into a comforting hug. "I just miss them" he mutters into her shoulder. "I know, me too" she replies, pulling away and cupping his face. "We've go this" she assures him confidently and he chuckles at her. "I think my optimism is rubbing off on you" he states with a smile, resting his hands on her hips. "I'm not surprised. We've been together for what? 9 years. Married for almost 5" she replies and he nods in agreement.

Steve leans down and connects his lips with hers. "I love you so much" he whispers as he pulls away and rests his forehead against hers. "I love you too" she replies while rubbing his cheeks with her thumbs. Their moment is interrupted by the sound of a car entering the compound. Rachel moves to stand beside Steve as they watch drive towards them and stop just ahead of them. It reverses and the window lowers to reveal Tony in the drivers seat. Rachel's breath hitches in her throat and she slowly grabs Steve's hand, the shock of seeing Tony taking her by surprise.

"Why the long faces? Let me guess, he turned into a baby" Tony guesses knowingly. "Among other things, yeah. What are you doing here?" Steve answers. "It's the EPR Paradox. Instead of pushing Lang through time. you might've wound up pushing time through Lang. It's tricky, dangerous, someone could've cautioned you against it" Tony explains as he gets out and stands in front of them. "You did" Steve replies simply. "Oh did I? Well, thank god I'm here. Regardless, I fixed it. A fully functioning time-space GPS. I just want peace. Turns out resentment is corrosive and I hate it" Tony reveals the bracelet on his wrist as the GPS and Steve smiles at him while Rachel sighs in relief. "Me too" Steve agrees.

"We've got a shot at getting these stones but I gotta tell you my priorities. Bring back what we lost, I hope, yes. Keep what I found, I have to, at all costs. And maybe not die trying would be nice" Tony clarifies. "We feel the same way" Rachel assures him and Tony nods. "Sounds like a deal then" Steve says, raising his hand. Tony shakes his hand before leading the two to his boot.

Tony lifts something covered in blankets and toys before flipping it, revealing Steve's shield. Rachel looks at Steve as he sighs deeply. "Tony I don't know" he hesitates. "Why? He made it for you. Plus, honestly, I have to get it out of the garage before Morgan takes it sledding" Tony replies, turning it around for Steve to reach the strap. However, he still seems hesitant so Rachel reaches a hand out and rests it on his arm. He looks at her and she gives an encouraging nod with a smile so he takes the shield and holds it at his side. "Thank you Tony" Steve says gratefully.

"I've got something for you too" Tony says as he points at Rachel and she's suddenly very nervous. "Me?" she questions. "Yes. I owe you an apology" Tony starts and Rachel looks between him and Steve, unsure of what to say. Is this the apology that she thinks it is? "For that" Tony adds, pointing at the scar that is visible on her chest since the neckline of her shirt reveals the scar. Rachel glances down at the scar then back up at Tony, feeling the tears collecting behind her eyes. "I never should have done that to you. You didn't deserve it and I'm sorry. If I could take it back I would. You have no idea how relieved I was when you got up. I'm so sorry" he continues and a tear falls down Rachel's cheek, thankful to hear him say those words.

"Thank you" she nods before pulling him into a hug and Tony hugs her tightly. "I've waited 7 years to hear that" she says through her tears. "I'm sorry I haven't given it to you sooner" Tony replies before pulling away. "It's ok, I forgive you" she assures him before stepping back and wiping her tears. Steve rests a hand on her lower back and she steps into him so he pulls her into his side, kissing her temple.

"Will you keep those a little quiet? I haven't brought something for the whole team. We are getting a whole team, right?" Tony asks. "We're working on that right now" Steve answers with a nod. "And congrats, on the wedding and your two little munchkins" Tony smiles, making Rachel and Steve smile widely. "Pepper has offered to watch them while we try and fix all this" he adds and Rachel looks at him surprised. "Really? Are you sure?" Rachel questions. "Of course, she's happy to. Just take them down to her whenever you're ready" he answers simply while making his way into the compound.

---

Steve and Rachel walk towards Pepper and Morgan with Natalie and James and a bag of their things. "Pepper, are you sure about this?" Rachel asks to be sure. "Of course" she insists. Steve and Rachel kneel down in front of the kids. "Ok, you guys are going to have a sleepover at Morgan's house for a few days. We'll come and get you soon ok?" Steve tells them and they both nod excitedly. "You listen to Pepper and behave, understand?" Rachel adds and they both nod. "Promise?" she asks, raising her pinky and they both lock their pinkies with hers with a giggle. "Ok, have fun. We love you" she finishes and kisses their cheeks before Steve does the same. They both run inside with Morgan, leaving the adults outside.

"They'll be completely fine here, I promise. And I'll call you guys every night if you'd like?" Pepper suggests and Rachel nods. "That'd be great, thank you so much" she says before leaving with her hand holding Steve's. "They'll be fine" he assures her. "I know" she nods before getting in the car to leave.