Chapter 32

Rachel enters the lab to see Nat leaning beside Clint who's being treated. "Are you sure he's gonna be okay?" Nat questions. "Yeah, pretending to need this guy really brings the team together" Rachel adds with a grin as she stands beside Nat. "There's no possibility of deterioration" Dr Cho starts and continues with a bunch of scientific terminology that none of them understand besides Bruce who's nodding enthusiastically. "She is creating tissue" Bruce summarises with an excited smile. "If you bring him to my lab, the Regeneration Cradle could do this in 20 minutes" Dr Cho states and before anyone can answer, Tony enters the room.

"Oh, he's flatlining. Call it. Time?" he jokes with a tray of drinks in his hands. "No, no, no. I'm gonna live forever. I'm gonna be made of plastic" Clint laughs before taking a drink from Tony. "You'll be made of you, Mr Barton. Your own girlfriend won't be able to tell the difference" Dr Cho says with a chuckle. "I don't have a girlfriend" Clint states and Rachel and Nat share a knowing smile. "That I can't fix" Dr Cho replies before she addresses Tony and his suits. Tony and Bruce leave the room to start studying the sceptre. "Glad you're okay Clint" Rachel says and pats Clint's shoulder before leaving the room herself.

A few days later, Tony hosts his party and all the Avengers are present along with many other guests. Rachel walks out of her walk-in closet in her maroon dress (above) to see Steve waiting in his black trousers, blue button-up shirt and his leather jacket. "Ready?" she asks Steve as he stares at her. "You look beautiful" he states as he wraps his arms around her waist. "Thank you. You look very handsome" she replies as she fixes his collar and rests her hands on his shoulders. He smiles down at her before leaning down and locking his lips with hers, giving her a tender kiss. "I love you" he mutters against her lips. "I love you too" she repeats with a smile.

They enter the party with Rachel's arm tucked in his, they see Sam and make their way over to him. "Hey Sam" Steve greets and gives him one of those guy hugs with a pat on the back. "Hey man" Sam greets before looking at Rachel. "Hi Sam, it's good to see you" she says, pulling him into a hug. "Rachel. You look lovely" he says in her ear. "Thank you" she replies and Sam asks Steve for a game of pool. "Well, I'm gonna leave you guys to it and go find Nat" Rachel says before kissing Steve's cheek and walking away.

"Avenging is your world. Your world is crazy" Sam states after hearing Steve's story about their Hydra base infiltration. "Be it ever so humble" Steve replies as they stare out at the crowd of people. "You find a place in Brooklyn yet?" Sam asks. "I don't think I can afford a place in Brooklyn" Steve responds. "Home is home, you know?" Sam states with a grin. "Besides, I haven't asked Rachel yet. She may not want to live in Brooklyn" Steve argues as he spots Rachel across the room, laughing with Thor. "I don't think she'll care. She loves you. Wherever you go, she goes" Sam states with a smile as he catches Steve's gaze. "Exactly. I don't want her to move because I want to. I want her to move because she wants to" Steve argues and smiles at Rachel when she catches him watching her.

"I gotta have some of that" an old Veteran states when Thor pulls out a vile of Asgardian alcohol. "No, no, no. See this, this was aged for 1000 years in the barrels built from the wreck of Grunhel's fleet. It is not made for mortal men" Thor explains as he pours some into a glass and hands it to Steve and he sniffs the glass. Thor offers a glass to Rachel and she quickly shakes her head. "I'm happy with my champagne, thanks" she says, raising her glass. She assumes that Thor offered it because of her abilities but she doesn't think it's a good idea. "Neither was Omaha Beach, blondie. Stop trying to scare us, come on" the Veteran argues, gesturing for a glass. Thor looks at Steve who gives him a shrug and Thor pours them a glass. Not long after they've taken a sip, the Veteran's are practically carried out of the party and Rachel shakes her head with a chuckle.

Rachel and Steve approach the bar to hear the end of Nat and Bruce's conversation. Nat gives them a smile before leaving the bar and Rachel grins at her. "It's nice" Rachel comments. "What, what is?" Bruce stammers, looking at them confused. "You and Romanoff" Steve answers with a smile. "No, we haven't... That wasn't" Bruce stutters frantically. "It's okay. Nobody's breaking any bylaws" Steve assures him with a chuckle. "It's just she's not the most open person in the world. But with you she seems very relaxed" Rachel explains. "No. Natasha, she's just... She likes to flirt" Bruce objects awkwardly. "I've seen her flirt, up close. This ain't that" Steve argues as he leans over the bar to get a beer and checks on Rachel's glass to see it still half full. Bruce scoffs at the statement. "Look, as maybe the world's leading authority on waiting too long. Don't. You both deserve a win" Steve encourages Bruce. "But you've got Rachel now" Bruce says gesturing to Rachel standing beside Steve. "That's true, but I waited longer than I should have to tell her" Steve defends and looks down at Rachel and they both walk away. "Wait, what do you mean 'up close'?" Bruce questions and Steve chuckles with Rachel.