Chapter 79

The team makes their way to the quantum tunnel in their time travel suits. They stand in a circle as Steve starts his speech. "Five years ago we lost. All of us. We lost friends. We lost family. We lost a part of ourselves. Today we have chance to take it all back. You know your teams, you know your missions. Get the stones, then get back. One round-trip each. No mistakes, no do-overs. Most of us are going somewhere we know, that doesn't mean we should know what to expect. Be careful, look out for each other. This is the fight of our lives. We're gonna win. Whatever it takes" he says, sharing a smile with Rachel.

"He's pretty good at that" Rocket mutters. "Right" Scott agrees enthusiastically. "Alright, you heard the man. Stroke those keys, Jelly Green" Tony tells Bruce. "See you in a minute" Nat says with an excited smile as she looks at Rachel and Steve. They both smile back at her before their helmets close over their heads and everyone goes to their time and place.

NEW YORK 2012

Steve, Rachel, Tony, Bruce and Scott arrive in an alley. "Alright, we all have our assignments. Two stones uptown, one stone down. Stay low, keep an eye on the clock" Steve orders before everyone's attention turns to 2012 Hulk fighting a Chitauri. He excessively damages a car before running off and Bruce hides behind his hand in embarrassment. "Maybe smash a few things along the way" Steve suggests. "I think it's gratuitous but whatever" Bruce obeys while ripping his shirt off and wanders off to complete his mission.

The rest make their way to Stark Tower to get their two stones. "Better hustle Cap. Things look like they're just about wrapped up here" Tony informs Steve. "Got it. I'm approaching the elevator now" Steve replies. Tony enters the tower and watches the 2012 Avengers dealing with Loki. "Mr Rogers, I almost forgot that suit did nothing for your ass" Tony comments. "No one asked you to look Tony" Steve replies. "It's ridiculous" Tony adds. "I think you look great Cap. As far as I'm concerned that's America's ass" Scott comments and Rachel chuckles. "Ok, can everyone stop looking at my husband's ass please" she asks the pair. "Technically he's not your husband at this point" Tony argues and Rachel scoffs.

Steve enters the elevator to get the sceptre and stands beside the STRIKE team. "Captain, I thought you were coordinating search and rescue" Sitwell questions. "Change of plans" Steve answers. "Hey Cap" Rumlow greets. "Rumlow" Steve greets reluctantly. "I just got a call from the secretary. I'm gonna be running point on the sceptre" Steve informs them. "I don't understand" Sitwell says in confusion. "We got word there may be an attempt to steal it" Steve explains. "Sorry Cap. We can't give you the sceptre" Rumlow refuses confidently. "I'm gonna have to call the director" Sitwell says. "That's ok, trust me" Steve says before leaning forward. "Hail Hydra" he whispers to Sitwell who looks at him shocked.

Steve exits the elevator with the sceptre in hand and Rachel rounds the corner to meet him. "Nice job Cap" she compliments. "Thanks Vi" he replies, calling her by her own superhero name for the first time in years. "Tony what's going on? Tell me you got that cube" Steve asks through comms but receives silence. He shares a concerned look with Rachel before they reach the bridge and stop in their tracks when they see 2012 Steve standing in front of them. "You've gotta be shitting me" Steve curses. "I have eyes on Loki, fourteenth floor" 2012 Steve says through his comms. "I'm not Loki, and I don't wanna hurt you" Steve says as he passes the sceptre to Rachel. "Rachel, he isn't me. He's Loki" 2012 Steve tells Rachel and she has no idea what to do. "Rach, go" Steve tells her. "Rachel, don't go anywhere" 2012 Steve orders as he takes a defensive stance.

Steve steps in front of Rachel before he and 2012 Steve charge at each other and collide shields. 2012 Steve manages to kick Steve and set him back a few feet and Rachel quickly kneels beside Steve as he groans. "I can do this all day" 2012 Steve states causing Steve to reply with "Yeah, I know" as he stands. Rachel can't help herself but chuckle at the line being used against him. They throw their shields at each other and they collide and fall over the bridge and down a few floors. They engage in hand to hand combat and Rachel watches them both defend themselves. "Rach, go!" Steve yells while 2012 Steve is too busy with him to stop her. She runs past them with the sceptre aiming to meet Steve back in the alley but 2012 Steve manages to grab her feet and she falls forward, dropping the case and hitting her face on the glass floor.

She quickly gets on her feet and starts fighting 2012 Steve herself, using her powers where she can and if it doesn't hurt him. The case ends up being kicked through the glass and down a few floors. 2012 Steve manages to grab Rachel but before he can even try to talk to her and reason with her, Steve wraps his arms around him. They all lose their footing and fall over the edge of the bridge. They fall onto a staircase and then down its centre, hitting the stairs' edge every few floor. Rachel tries creating a barrier around herself and Steve but it all happens so fast she doesn't get the chance. The three hit the floor with a thud, Rachel managing to break her fall slightly with her powers, but the air is still knocked from her lungs.

She rolls onto her back, clutching her side and trying to take in as much air as she possibly can. Steve quickly rolls over to check on her and she grabs his arm in response as she starts taking deeper breaths. 2012 Steve picks up Steve's compass which contains a picture on Rachel, Natalie and James. He stands and looks at Steve incredibly confused. "What is this?" he asks as Steve stands and steps between Rachel and 2012 Steve. He lunges for the sceptre on the floor but 2012 Steve tackles him and gets him in a chokehold. Rachel looks over to see Steve struggling so she quickly thinks of a distraction. "Bucky's alive" she yells and 2012 Steve loosens his grip so Steve hits him and uses the sceptre to knock him unconscious.

Steve gets to his feet, puts his compass back in his belt and helps Rachel to her feet. "Are you ok?" he asks as he looks her over. "I'm ok, are you?" she assures him as she brings her hand to his bruised cheek. "I'm fine. That was quick thinking" he says with a proud smile. "Thank you" she smiles and they start walking away. Steve stops to look at 2012 Steve. "That is America's ass" he mutters. "Damn right" Rachel chuckles as she wraps an arm around his waist while they leave with the sceptre.