Chapter 83

Steve and Rachel exit their car while Pepper exits her own just as their kids come running out of the cabin. They all run to their parents while Happy walks out behind them. Steve and Rachel kneel down as Natalie reaches them and she embraces them both with a smile. James comes running just behind his sister, being younger and slightly slower but reaches his parents and joins the embrace. The four of them hug each other tightly before standing, Rachel holding Natalie and Steve holding James.

They look over to see Pepper kneeling in front of Morgan, clearly telling her that her father didn't make it. Morgan seems confused but eventually understands and hugs Pepper tightly while Pepper cries silently with Morgan crying on her shoulder. Rachel looks at Steve teary eyed and he pulls her into him before they lower their kids to the ground and explain to them that their Auntie Nat didn't make it. Natalie seems to understand and hugs her mother sadly while James seems to be confused but sees the sadness in the rest of his family and starts a group hug.

---

A few days later, everyone gathers at the cabin for Tony's funeral. Steve enters the cabin with Pepper, Morgan, Happy, Rhodey and Thor to see the message left by Tony while Rachel waits outside with the kids. Pepper walks towards the dock with a bouquet in one hand and Morgan's hand in her other while everyone else follows behind. Steve stands beside Rachel and the kids stand quietly, holding onto their parents legs while everyone watches Pepper and Morgan place the flowers on the lake.

When everyone starts to mingle and give their condolences, Rachel and Steve make their way to Clint and his family. "Hi Laura" Rachel greets with a smile and they hug each other. "Wow, look at you three. You've grown a lot since I last saw you" she says to the kids. "Hi Auntie Rachel" Lila says and pulls Rachel into a hug. "I'm sorry about Auntie Nat" she whispers and Rachel tightens her grip. "It's okay" she whispers back before pulling away and receiving a hug from Cooper as well. Rachel gives Nathaniel a little wave and he smiles back at her shyly.

"We have some people for you to meet" Rachel says with a smile before turning to Steve and the kids. She introduces Natalie and James and they both give Clint a hug, having heard stories about him and feeling comfortable with him already. They chat for a little while and James and Nathaniel seem to be getting along well, considering their similar age.

Steve and Rachel then lead the kids over to Bucky, Sam and Wanda. "Hey guys" Rachel greets them with a smile after lifting Natalie. They all smile back before Wanda shares a smile with Natalie. "You've missed a lot" Steve comments and they all chuckle. "Clearly" Sam replies. "This is Natalie Sarah Rogers" Rachel says and Natalie gives them all a kind wave. "And this is James Clinton Rogers" Steve adds and Bucky looks at him in shock before looking at Rachel with the same expression. They both smile at him and he looks at James to see him watching him. Surprising Steve and Rachel, James reaches to Bucky and he looks at them hesitantly. "It's alright Buck" Steve assures him before passing James over to him. "Congratulations. I'm happy for you guys" Sam says with a smile and they both thank him.

That night, Steve and Rachel are sitting together on the sofa. "I have an idea" Steve says, breaking the silence. "Oh yeah?" Rachel questions with a smile. "Why don't we retire and live a normal life, like we did during the blip. We could focus on the kids and on each other. We won't be risking our lives on a regular basis" he suggests and Rachel smiles. "I'd love that. So you're gonna hang up the shield?" she asks. "Actually, I have a better idea" he responds with a grin before elaborating.

---

A few days later, Steve prepares to return the stones. "Be careful" Rachel says as he passes her. "Always" he nods before kissing her cheek. "Don't do anything stupid till I get back" he says to Bucky and he chuckles. "How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you" he replies with a smile before hugging him. Rachel stands beside Sam and Bucky while Steve prepares for the quantum jump.

He disappears and a few seconds later Bruce counts down but Steve doesn't reappear. Rachel starts panicking while Sam yells at Bruce to bring him back. Bucky wraps an arm around Rachel to comfort her while Bruce clicks a few buttons and the machine comes back to life. Steve reappears on the platform and Rachel sighs in relief. "Oh my god" she mutters as she makes her way up the platform to him. "Don't scare me like that" she says as she wraps her arms around his neck. "Sorry" he replies, wrapping his free arm around her waist.

They make their way off the platform and Steve holds his new shield out to Sam. "Try it on" he states with an encouraging smile. Sam looks at Bucky who nods encouragingly while Rachel smiles. Sam puts his arm through the straps and holds it up. "How does it feel?" Rachel asks. "Like it's someone else's" Sam replies with a grin. "It isn't" Steve replies and Sam looks at them confused. "We're done" Rachel states happily. "It's family time for us" Steve elaborates with a smile. "Thank you. I'll do my best" Sam states confidently. "That's why it's yours" Steve replies with a smile.

---

Rachel snuggles into Steve while she sits beside him, watching a movie with the kids. Natalie is tucked into Steve's other side while James is lying his head on Rachel's legs. They're both watching the movie intently while Steve looks over to Rachel when she snuggles into him. He lifts his arm and wraps it around her shoulders, pulling her into him. "I love you" he whispers before kissing her temple. "I love you too" she replies before looking up at him. "And I'm glad we're living this normal and safe life" she adds with a smile. "Me too" he smiles. "But we're still gonna worry about each other" she chuckles. "Yeah well, we can't help it" he says with a smile and she giggles before resting her head on his shoulder and he rests his on hers.

This is the life Rachel and Steve wanted when they were kids and even though everything in between wasn't what they expected, they're happy that they found each other along the way.

THE END