Chapter 51

A few days later, Rachel sits beside Steve as they watch the news report of the event in Lagos. "Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil, not only because of the actions of criminals but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent, is no victory at all" King T'Chaka of Wakanda says at a conference about the event. Steve turns it off and they sit in silence until they hear the news continuing in another room. They follow the sound to find Wanda watching the news in her room as the reporter discusses Wanda's right as an enhanced individual. Rachel's blood boils at the topic, she knows the struggle of trust when it comes to human enhancement.

Steve turns the tv off before standing in the doorway with Rachel. "It's my fault" Wanda states guiltily. "That's not true" Steve replies. "Turn the tv back on, they're being very specific" she states. "I should've contained that explosion before you had to" Rachel argues, knowing she would've been able to contain it long enough to reach the open air. Wanda hasn't had her powers as long as Rachel has. "I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it. Rumlow said 'Bucky'... and all of a sudden I was a 16 year old kid again, in Brooklyn" Steve adds as he takes a seat beside Wanda. Rachel sits beside him and wraps a hand around his arm as comfort.

"And people died. It's on me" Steve states with guilt. "It's on all of us" Wanda argues, looking down at her hands. "This job. We try to save as many people as we can, sometimes that doesn't mean everybody. But if we can't find a way to live with that then next time... maybe nobody gets saved" Steve explains and Wanda nods slowly before the trio sit in silence.

Vision, suddenly, appears through the wall making Rachel jump and grip Steve's arm a little tighter. She sighs when she realises it's Vision and Wanda and Steve turn to see him too. "Vis, we talked about this" Wanda states. "Yes, but the door was open so I assumed that... Captain Rogers wishes to know when Mr Stark was arriving" Vision starts to argue but sighs in defeat before explaining his entrance. "Thank you, we'll be right down" Steve nods in thanks. "I'll use the door" Vision states, pointing towards the door. "My apologies Miss Forbes" he nods to Rachel and she chuckles slightly. "That's ok" she replies, lowering her head in slight embarrassment.

"Oh, and apparently he's brought a guest" Vision adds as he reaches the door. "We know who it is?" Steve asks. "The secretary of state" he answers before leaving the room. Wanda takes a deep breath while Steve and Rachel share a glance, assuming the same as to why the secretary is here.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack and dropped right in the middle of my backswing" Secretary Ross starts, imitating his backswing. Everyone is gathered around a conference room table while Tony quietly sits in the back."Turned out it was the best round of my life because after 13 hours in surgery and a triple bypass, I found something 40 years in the army had never taught me. Perspective" Secretary Ross continues. "The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives. But while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some who'd prefer the word 'vigilantes'," Ross adds, his tone changing entirely. "What word would you use Mr Secretary?" Nat asks. "How about 'dangerous'? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" Ross answers, his gaze staying on Rachel and Wanda longer when he refers to enhanced individuals.

Rachel can't understand why he'd fixate on herself and Wanda under that phrase. They aren't the only 'enhanced individuals' on the team. Visions, for one is an AI. Steve is a super soldier and Nat was enhanced in some way by the red room. Although, Rachel doesn't know the specifics, she never wanted to push Nat. She knows what it's like to have a difficult past. So why is Ross focusing on her and Wanda?

The group remain silent as Ross plays footage of the attacks on New York, Washington DC, Sokovia and Lagos. Steve takes notice of Wanda everting her gaze from the Lagos footage and decides to step in. "Ok, that's enough" Steve states to Ross and the footage is stopped and taken from the screen. "For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate" Ross begins to conclude. "But I think we have a solution" he adds as one of his men hands him an thick book.

"The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries, it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organisation. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel only when and if that panel deems it necessary" Ross explains as he circles the table and the Accords are passed from Wanda to Rhodey. "The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that" Steve argues simply. "Tell me Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now. If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes, you can bet there'd be consequences" Ross questions Steve, who remains silent.

"Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground" Ross states encouragingly. "So, there are contingencies" Rhodey assumes. "Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords. Talk it over" Ross answers as Steve turns to look at Tony but Tony only avoids his gaze. "And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Nat questions as Ross starts to leave the room. "Then you retire" Ross answers and Nat nods.

Rachel remains completely silent as she processes the Accords. She can't sign them. She was controlled for 6 years after being kidnapped and for another 5 years she kept her powers hidden out of fear. Since revealing her powers to the world, she has had to gain many people's trust. There have been many occasions where people have been reluctant to trust her and she knows it's because of her powers. The government will never trust her, she'd only be controlled by them the same way she was controlled by the agency who trained and tortured her.