Chapter 57

"FDR signed the Lend-Lease bill with these in 1941" Tony states as he places the case of pens on the table. "Provided support to the allies when they needed it most" he adds. "Some would say it brought our country closer to war" Steve argues with a grin. "See. If not for these, you wouldn't be here" Tony replies with a chuckle. "I'm trying to... What do you call it? That's an olive branch. Is that what you call it?" Tony asks as he sits opposite Steve.

"Is Pepper here? I didn't see her" Steve asks, changing the subject. "We're kinda well, not kinda-" Tony starts. "Pregnant?" Steve assumes and Tony's eyes widen. "No, definitely not. We're taking a break. It's nobody's fault" he answers with a sigh. "I'm so sorry Tony. I didn't know" Steve apologises sincerely. "A few years ago, I almost lost her so I trashed all my suits. Then we had to mop up Hydra and then Ultron. My fault. And then, and then, and then. I never stopped, because the truth is I don't wanna stop. I don't wanna lose her. I thought maybe the Accords could split the difference" he explains before standing from his chair and starts pacing.

"In her defence, I'm a handful. Yet, Dad was a pain in the ass but he and mom always made it work" Tony adds in Pepper's defence. "You know, I'm glad Howard got married. I only knew him when he was young and single" Steve tells Tony with a smile. "Oh really? You two knew each other? He never mentioned that, maybe only a thousand times. God, I hated you" Tony admits and Rachel chuckles at them. "I don't mean to make things difficult" Steve states. "I know because you're a very polite person" Tony replies. "If I see a situation pointed south, I can't ignore it. Sometimes I wish I could" Steve adds as he turns his chair to keep his eyes on Tony. "No you don't" Tony argues without a second thought and Steve smiles. "No, I don't" he admits with a smile.

"Sometimes-" Steve starts. "Sometimes, I wanna punch you in your perfect teeth but I don't wanna see you gone. We need you Cap. So far, nothing's happened that can't be undone, if you sign. We can make the last 24 hours legit. Barnes gets transferred to an American psych-centre instead of a Wakandan prison" Tony tries convincing them and Steve takes a pen before standing, clearly considering the possibility. Rachel remains seated, she understands where Tony's coming from but she can't sign. Look at what they're doing to her now. What will they do to her when they have complete control over her?

"I'm not saying it's impossible, but there would have to be safe guards" Steve negotiates. "Sure. Once we put out the PR file, those documents can be amended. I'd file a motion to have you and Wanda reinstated-" Tony answers hopefully. "Wanda? What about Wanda?" Rachel interrupts, wondering what's happening with Wanda. "She's fine. She's confined to the compound, currently. Vision is keeping her company" Tony explains and Steve and Rachel sigh in frustration. "Oh God, Tony" Rachel complains as she stand from her chair. "Every time I think you see things the right way-" Steve starts but Tony interrupts. "It's 100 acres with a lap pool. It's got a screening room. There's worse ways to protect people" he argues. "Protection?" Rachel asks in disbelief. "Is that how you see this? This is protection?" she questions him as she gestures around the room.

"It's internment Tony" Steve states in frustration. "She's not a US citizen and they don't grant visas to weapons of mass destruction" Tony argues further while Steve and Rachel start disagreeing with him. "She's a kid!" Steve states in anger. "Give me a break!" he yells and silence falls throughout the room. "I'm doing what has to be done. To stave off something worse" Tony states and Steve nods. "You keep telling yourself that. I'd hate to break up the set" he says before leaving the pen on the desk and leaving the room.

Tony looks at Rachel hopefully and she can't believe he's even asking her if she'd sign so she starts shaking her head. "The government made these handcuffs for me specifically and I can only assume they've got a matching pair for Wanda. This is why I can't sign. You don't trust us. You don't trust people with powers" she states as she raises her wrists. "You think I wanted these powers?!" she asks, raising her voice. "I was tortured and experimented on to get these powers. I didn't ask for them. I didn't ask for this!" she yells before storming out of the room.

She enters the room where Steve and Sam are waiting to see Bucky's interrogation. "You ok?" Steve asks as she enters. "I'm fine" she huffs before sitting down beside Sam. They all turn their attention to the screens.

They watch the screens and watch as the psychiatrist starts asking Bucky questions but can't hear anything because they aren't allowed to. Sharon enters passes some paper to Sam. "The receipt for your gear" she states and Sam starts reading it. "Bird costume? Come on" Sam questions and Rachel chuckles from beside him. "I didn't write it" Sharon replies with a shrug. "Told you" Rachel mutters and Sam gives her a glare. Sharon stops the sound restriction and Steve turns to see her nod at him before returning his attention to the screens.

"I'm not here to judge you. I just want to ask you a few questions. Do you know where you are James?" the psychiatrist asks. "I can't help you if you don't talk to me, James" he adds when Bucky remains silent. "My name is Bucky" Bucky states in response and everyone remains completely silent.

"Why would the task force release this photo to begin with?" Steve asks. "Get the word out, involve as many eyes as we can?" Sharon assumes. "Right. It's a good way to flush a guy out of hiding. Set off a bomb, get your picture taken. Get seven billion people looking for the Winter Soldier" Steve replies. "You're saying someone framed him to find him" Sharon concludes and Steve starts to nod. "Steve, we looked for the guy for 2 years and found nothing" Sam argues. "We didn't bomb the UN, that turns a lot of heads" Rachel states. "Yeah but that doesn't guarantee that whoever framed him would get him. It guarantees that we would" Sharon summarises with realisation. "Yeah" Steve agrees and stares at the screen. A few seconds later, all lights are shut off and all cameras and mics in Bucky's cell room are shut down.