Chapter 76

Steve and Rachel sit in one side of the booth with Natalie and James in their laps while Nat and Scott sit opposite and they all stare at Bruce in disbelief and confusion. "Come on, I feel like I'm the only one eating here. Try some of that, have some eggs" Bruce insists as he gestures at the table of food. "I'm so confused" Scott states unconsciously. "These are confusing times" Bruce chuckles. "Right, no, no. That's not what I meant" Scott stammers. "Nah, I get it. I'm kidding. I know, it's crazy. I'm wearing shirts now" Bruce laughs while they all still sit in disbelief. "Right. What? How? Why?" Scott questions.

"Five years ago we got our assess beat. Except it was worse for me, cause I lost twice. First, Hulk lost, then Banner lost, and then we all lost" Bruce explains defeatedly. "No one blamed you Bruce" Nat assures him. "I did" he responds without hesitation. "For years, I've been treating the Hulk like he's some kind of disease, something to get rid of. But then I started looking at him as the cure. Eighteen months in the gamma lab. I put the brains and the brawn together and now look at me. The best of both worlds" Bruce explains proudly before a group of kids approach him asking for a photo.

Bruce ushers them in and hands Scott the phone. Rachel glances at Steve in confusion and he just shrugs before Natalie grabs his hand and starts playing with his fingers, moving his wedding ring around on his finger. Scott takes the photo before offering to take a photo with them as Antman. "They're Hulk fans, they don't know Antman. Nobody does" Scott gives up and tries handing the phone back. Bruce tries convincing the kids to take a photo but they're all reluctant. "Just take the goddamn phone" Scott says before the kids leave with the phone. Rachel hides her smile with her hand, finding the interactions very entertaining.

"Bruce" Steve calls as Bruce tells the kids to listen to their mother. "About what we were saying" he adds, urging the conversation back to the time heist. "The whole time travel do-over? Guys, it's outside of my area of expertise" Bruce argues, unsure whether he's the guy for the job. "Well you pulled this off. I remember a time when that seemed pretty impossible too" Nat responds with a smile and Bruce nods.

---

"Okay, here we go. Time travel test number one" Bruce says as he stands around all his controls. "Scott, fire up the van thing" he adds before Scott opens the back of the van to reveal the quantum tunnel. "Breakers are set. Emergency generators are on standby" Steve confirms as he enters the room, walking past Rachel sitting on the floor with Natalie and James. "Good because if we blow the grid, I don't want to lose Tiny here in the 1950s" Bruce replies. "Excuse me?" Scott asks worriedly. "He's kidding. You can't say things like that" Nat assures him. "It was just a bad joke" Bruce stammers and Scott nods before walking towards the van in his suit. "You were kidding right?" Nat checks. "I have no idea. We're talking about time travel here. Either it's all a joke or none of it is" Bruce answers quietly before telling Scott their good.

"Are we all safe in here or should I take the kids somewhere else?" Rachel questions before they get started. "No, we're all good in here. we're a safe distance from the tunnel. Unless you want to take them out" Bruce assures her and she nods. "If they're safe here, then we'll stay" she replies before James shows her his toy car. Steve makes his way to stand beside Rachel and the kids while Bruce explains the plan to Scott. "Good luck Scott. You got this" Steve encourages. "You're right. I do, Captain America" Scott replies proudly before he's pulled into the tunnel.

"On the count of three. Three, two one" Bruce counts and presses buttons and a young boy appears in front of the van. "Guys, this doesn't feel right" he says as everyone looks confused. They all start question what's happening and if that's Scott. "Yes it's Scott" the boy answers concerned. Bruce presses a few buttons, causing the boy to disappear and an old man to appear instead, complaining of his back. Bruce continues to try to bring Scott back but this time a baby appears instead and everyone stares in shock. "It's a baby" Steve states. "It's Scott" Bruce argues. "As a baby" Steve replies. "He'll grow" Bruce argues and Rachel looks at him shocked at the suggestion. "Bring Scott back" Steve orders. "When I say kill the power, kill the power" Bruce orders and Nat rushes to the switch muttering 'Oh my God'.

They kill the power and Bruce presses a button at the same time and Scott appears in front of the van on shaky legs. Everyone sighs in relief as Scott stands completely still. "Someone peed my pants. But I don't know if it was baby me or old me. Or just me, me" Scott finally speaks. "Time travel!" Bruce states proudly and excitedly. Steve only shakes his head before exiting the room in defeat. Rachel watches him leave, desperately wanting to follow, to comfort him and assure him that they'll figure this out. "Go ahead, I'll sit with them" Nat says as she sits beside her, ushering her out after Steve. Rachel nods in thanks and rushes out after Steve.