3. TCPD's Finest

DEAN STRAKEN

Above a faded crosswalk, a yellow streetlight flashes rapidly as it struggles to stay on. The dull glow of the dying lamp becomes lighter every few minutes. Thick black clouds slowly drift across the night sky, forming a blanket that obscures the shine of the scarcely scattered stars. Only a few faint gusts of wind blow in the icy air.

"Maybe we should just go back to the club, Chris," Jade says to her boyfriend as he tugs her through the dimly lit alley. The young woman stumbles awkwardly as she tries desperately to keep up with his quick pace. Her five-inch stiletto heels and the uneven ground are not exactly conducive to a steady stride.

"No way! Besides, I have a surprise for you, but we have to collect it first," Chris replies as he continues down the path. He walks down the alley until they come across two dumpsters and the back entrance of the club. Jade was secretly relieved as the burning sensation on the soles of her feet was becoming unbearable.

Letting go of his girlfriend's hand, he steps up to the flimsy door and bangs on it five times. A second later, four knocks sound from the other side, after which he bangs against the door three more times. The door opens a crack with a distinct groan and Chris steps forward to peek through the space. Jade crosses her arms in front of her chest in annoyance and watches as he exchanges a few words with someone through the small opening. With a glance over his shoulder, Chris takes a package from the person and steps back, the door slamming shut as soon as he moves.

Chris grins triumphantly and tosses his girlfriend the mysterious item he just received. Reflexively, Jade catches the thing and holds it up to the pale light to examine it. She looks at it in disbelief before tossing it to the ground and stomping away. Confused, Chris hastily picks up the object and runs to her. He grabs her arm a little tighter than necessary and forcibly pulls her to a stop. "Jade what?" He asks his angry girlfriend, which only seemed to enrage her more. "Are you serious right now Chris?" She asks him with a sharp tone in her voice.

"I don't understand why you are acting like this, I thought..."

"Thought what asshole?" she yelled angrily, interrupting him. Without giving him a chance to reply, she continued to yell. "You dragged me here to this dark, disgusting, filthy alley so you could buy cocaine! You selfish, inconsiderate son of a bitch! I have been clean for a month! Does that mean anything to you?" Without waiting for his response, she storms off again. Angered by her behavior, Chris storms over to her and grabs her by the shoulder. "Don't dare walk away from me, you self-centered, selfish bitch," He yells even louder than she had. Right there in the alley, the pair erupts into their usual shouting match. They both let loose an impressive string of curses and petty insults.

It takes approximately five minutes for either of them to notice the large pool of blood near their feet along the bruised and battered body of a young woman lying against a trash can.

~

It's the excruciating pain from his oxygen-deprived lungs that wakes Dean Straken from his deep, peaceful slumber. He frantically straightens up and gasps for air. As he sits on the edge of the bed breathing heavily and trying to get his bearings. Something had been cutting off his breathing he realized. His befuddled mind slowly became aware of the silhouette standing on the other side of his bed. Before he could react, the figure lunges at him, sending them both crashing to the floor. Dean hits the floor with a hard thud, but that doesn't stop him from letting his years of training kick in. Without thinking, Straken clenches his fist and punches his attacker with enough force to throw them off.

"Ow! What the hell, man? My nose!" His attacker yells. Dean, immediately recognizing the voice, pushes himself up off the ground with a loud, annoyed groan and turns on his bedside lamp.