68. Trouble Has Its Way Of Finding Us

DEAN STRAKEN

Dean looks at his rearview mirror as he drives away from Arrow's home, watching her walk into the house as the distance grows. She'd spent the last three days with him before deciding this morning that it was time for her to be in her own home and allow him to get back to his life and duties.

Dean had argued, but she insisted, Dean's guess was that she didn't want to be the cause of any further work-related hiccups. Although he'd explained to her that leaving the task force was a personal choice, he knew she still saw herself as the reason.  

He'd spent the past three days holding her each time she broke into tears and talking to her about considering the options ahead. They hadn't gained any ground on the topic, the conversation always reaching the point where it could go no further. Today, she wanted to be back in her home, and Dean obliged, figuring she needed some space to think and cope. 

Dean had taken the past three days off work as emergency time off, heading back into the precinct today. 

~

At a red light, Dean fires off a text to Calvin, letting him know he was close by - the two agreeing to ride together so they could catch each other up on events. 

Dean was curious to know what had been going on with the task force since his departure from the team. Part of him felt guilty for leaving Calvin after all he did to get on initially, but Quinn was the one who presented him the unreasonable ultimatum. 

Arriving in front of Calvin's home, Dean sounds his horn twice, waiting for his friend. "Alright, you first, spill!" Calvin says to him the minute he opens the passenger side door, having hardly taken a seat. 

"Well, good morning to you too. I am doing well, thanks for asking. This is indeed lovely weather we are having!" Dean comments sarcastically with an eye roll.

"Yeah, yeah, come on, man," Calvin begins dismissively. "You tell me very cryptically that something came up and you have to see to it... then Quinn stomps into work, all bothered throwing words for you about insubordination, disrespect, and lack of work ethic."

"Of course she'd be dramatic about it," Dean sighs. 

"Well?" Calvin presses. 

"Alright," Dean relents, "Remember I told you about my friend, Arrow?"

"Hunter. Runs an organization. On Quinn's organization's radar," Calvin lists out, "Yeah... "I remember."

"Well, she needed me. I needed my help."

"Hunting help?" Calvin asks, glancing at him.

"No... more like emotional help..." Dean trails off. 

"Someone die?"

"She might," Dean sighs resentfully.

"What?!"

"She got bit by a Lycan."

Calvin looks to him, eyes wide. "Holy shit! Man, that must be so complicated. Her being who she is..."

"Complicated is n understatement!" Dean replies, sighs heavily, a sadness creeping in.

"What?" Calvin asks, seeing Dean's mood drop.

"It's a little less than four weeks to the next full moon now," Dean begins. "If you're bitten or scratched, you turn on the next moon. Hunters don't allow themselves to turn. It's like a rule... an unspoken law that they have. Other hunters often interfere if one of them does go through the change. She..." Dean trails off.

"She's not going to let herself turn into a Lycan..." Calvin mumbles, realizing what Dean meant. 

"I tried to get her to see, or even entertain other options, but... as a hunter, she can't fathom living past the change." Dean confesses to his friend. "I think her mind was already made up before she even thought about it. Raised as a hunter and running an organization, she sees no other way. It's all she knows."