31. The Detective & The Paramedics

DEAN STRAKEN

"Tell me, how is he?!" Dean demands desperately moving to stand from his seat.

"Don't, Mr. Straken! Unless you want a longer recovery time for that leg!" The nurse warns, making him sit back down.

"Calvin?" Dean persists.

"Is fine," The nurse finished for him. A sigh of relief came from all three people in the room. "The surgery went well. He'll be staying in the ICU for a while as we monitor him. We'll permit you to see him shortly."

"He'll wake soon, yeah?" Dean asks just as the nurse was about to leave the room.

"Yes, he will." She answers with a smile, going her way.

Dean leans back in his seat bringing his hands to his wipe his face. Looking over at the two women in the corner. Both had big smiles on their faces, a hand over their heart as they continued whispering amongst themselves.

Dean didn't know what to make of the duo. They obviously cared for his friend, but what were they? What was Calvin? His question on that matter had never been answered. He studied the two of them. Neither seemed particularly malicious nor did they seem like Lycans to him, but he could be wrong.

"Hmm, I wonder if something is going down. Maybe protocol," Avery mumbles loud enough for him to hear even though her statement was directed to Naomi.

"Yeah, I noticed. They moved two patients already, this guy is the third. They're moving to the other side of the wing. Some of the doctors and nurses haven't returned to this side yet," Naomi replies. "It doesn't look serious,  I suppose they'll reach this room soon."

Dean sits up straighter as Naomi's phone begins to ring. She shows Avery the caller before answering the call and stepping outside the room.
Left alone with him Avery's eyes find his. Still wanting answers he opens his mouth to speak but his phone ringing cuts him off.

Seeing it was his Captain, he clears his throat and answers the call.
"Cap," He begins, ready to tell him about Calvin.

"Straken, listen to me," His Captain begins, cutting him off. "Gunter and his gang are on their way to you. They're going after everyone who worked the 'Doile bust' and that includes you guys. Even if you two weren't part of the takedown we conducted. To them, you're still involved. I'm on my way to the hospital, so is backup, but they have a head start."

"Shit!" Dean hisses out. "How does he even know who was on the case?".

"There's a mole in the precinct, don't know who," His captain replies gravelly.

"Shit!"

"I'm close, but you need to barricade yourself and Calvin in that room until I get there. We have reason to believe he has control over doctors in that hospital, we don't know who we can trust," His Captain rattles off, the siren and screeching of his tires reaching Dean's ear.

"Calvin is in the ICU, I'm not with him," Dean begins.

"Take your gun and get to him Straken! Use the extra mag I left you, those are dipped. We-" The rest of his Captain's words get cut off by the call ending.

Dean stares at his phone in shock for a second before moving off his chair.

"Wow, what are you doing?" Avery asks as he hobbles over to his belongings.

"Dean?" She repeats as he ignores her.

Pulling out his gun, he puts in the mag his Captain left for him before turning to her. Her eyes open wide in alarm as she sees the weapon in his hand. "We have a problem. I need to know - I need to know which side of this you and Naomi are on," He says to her.

"Hunter or Lycan, which are you and Naomi? No bullshit, just answer the question!" He demands.

"We aren't exactly hunters, but you can put us in that category if you must," Avery answers him, her eyes trained on the gun in his hand.

"And Calvin?" He asks her.

"The three of us aren't wolves," She replies beginning to step slowly to the side.

"The gun isn't for you," He says raising his hand to her, making her stop. "There's a much bigger problem heading my way."

~

"This gang is taking things a bit too personally don't you think?" Naomi whispers from her position beside Calvin's bed. His monitors beeped in a steady rhythm, echoing in the otherwise quiet room.

"Nomi, we know exactly how personal things could get between gangs," Avery answers from beside her.

Dean stood at the side of the door, behind the wall. Gun in his hand ready to fire. The see-through automatic door wasn't helping their situation but there was nothing to be done.

He could only hope that either his captain and backup or the Sean person the two paramedics called arrive before anything happened. The three of them were no match for a gang with a vendetta, let alone a Lycan one.

Dean was the only one with any sort of useful weapon but he was injured. If they got through him, the only thing left in their arsenal was hand-to-hand combat and a scalpel from Naomi and Avery.

Dean fidgeted uncomfortably, readjusting the weight on his good leg as he'd refused to be anywhere else, despite the obvious pain radiating from his injuries. His heart rate picked up as he watched three nurses walk towards them, stopping at the automatic door - Looking confused when it didn't slide open.

"Sir, have you blocked the door? Is it stuck?" One of them asked aloud, physically pushing against it.

"TCPD business Ma'am, no one in or out until further notice," Dean calls out.

"What?! Sir, please open the door before I get security!" Another one of the nurses shouts angrily. "This is a hospital!"

There was no security on the floor. Usually, there'd be two, but as the trio had rushed up and barricaded themselves in Calvin's private room, Dean noticed how suspiciously empty the ICU floor was. What the girls thought was some hospital procedure was the gang making sure there'd be no witnesses.

One of the nurses walks up closer to the glass door, her eyes glancing between Naomi and Avery. "This doesn't concern you two ladies. And trust me, you don't want to be on the wrong side of things. So how about you do the smart thing here and remove yourself from the situation? We only want the cops," She says out to them, eyes turning yellow and claws extending.

Seeing that neither of them reacted to what she said, the woman growled and stepped away from the door. "So be it!" She growls before smashing her fist into the glass.

Dean half expected the door to withstand at least three blows from the Lycan but it crumbled on the first.

Chaos erupted before all the shards of glass hit the floor.

Dean rose his gun to shoot the one who'd smashed the glass, but before he could pull the trigger he was knocked to the floor by a growling body, glass flying over him.
She'd thrown herself through the other half of the door and onto him he realized as she pinned his body down harshly. Her claws threatened to dig into the skin of his neck, his breathing shallow due to the pressure on his back.

"You shot my son," The Lycan on top of him growled into his ear as his lungs began to burn from lack of oxygen. He could hear Naomi and Avery fighting against the other two but he knew they were severely outmatched.

"I'm saving you for the boss," She whispered to him as he struggled in vain beneath her. A shriek, followed by a grunt and a thud told him that one of the girls was thrown across the room - But he didn't know who.

They supposedly weren't hunters, but they were braver and more loyal than he'd given them credit for. Although the decision was out of his hands and the two had insisted on staying, Dean couldn't help but second guess himself.  Wondering if he should if been more persistent in getting them out.

Calvin had found himself some interesting friends - These two paramedics.