77. This City

DEAN STRAKEN

Dean and Kim-Lee spend the rest of their shift in tense awkwardness.  They work a minor hit-and-run, using the rest of their time to catch up on paperwork

Dean could feel her eyes on him, waiting impatiently, wanting to know what he had to say. He could also feel Quinn's glare against his back. Managing to pass near him multiple times a day, he knew she was making a point to monitor him.

Angering him also, was the fact that Quinn took every opportunity she could to pull Kim-Lee aside. Whether it was to ask for mediocre favors or her opinion on insignificant task force details.

Dean saw right through her act, and he decided then that he would tell Kim-Lee everything there was to know about Quinn. Warn her of the dangers of being on Quinn Brooks" radar.

His pockets still help the small journal and the flash drive, feeling heavy on his person. He wanted to look through them and send them to Arrow. He was sure there'd be information of use to her on there, maybe even answers. But there was no way he could step away for a moment, he'd have to wait.

The day goes by agonizingly slowly for him even though the precinct is busy with officers trying to impress. He hated that the Kennedys had no infiltrated his work, his trust in everyone there decreasing ever so slightly. Especially with his Captain. With Quinn in everyone's ear, twisting any narrative she could, Dean was now weary of everyone.

If the hunting group and their leading family were anything like Quinn, Dean knew he'd have many problems working against him I'm the upcoming days.

~

At the end of their shift, Dean tells Kim-Lee goodbye, subtly leaving a note for her on the desk. She catches on fast, hiding the note out of view and bidding him farewell.

Dean nods his head to other officers as he leaves, keeping up the act of his regular behaviors. Getting in his car, he drives off, taking the long route to his destination along with circling a couple of blocks along the way.  He'd since found and removed Quinn's tracking device, checking for more and finding none but that didn't put him at ease. There were ample opportunities for her to place another while at the precinct.

Parking in the lot opposite a play park, Dean exits his car, scanning the area with a keen eye. Once he's sure there was no one around, he begins walking to his destination.  Passing the park, keeping along the pavement – heading down the block.

With a glance over his shoulder every so often, he continues until he spots the familiar car. Without slowing his stride, he walked up to it, entered the vehicle, and sitting in the passenger seat.

"Did what you said, made sure I wasn't followed, checked for devices in and out, and circled many blocks before I got here," Kim-Lee says as she drives off from the spot.

"Good. That's good, you did good," Dean nods.

"This gives you more to explain, you know." She comments to him

"I know, and I meant it when I said I'll tell you the truth." He responds.

"And I'll have to believe what you say...wonder if it's truly the truth or an elaborate cover you concocted. Because...why would you? Tell me the truth?"

"Because you could be in danger. And I would hate any harm to befall you because you're my partner for a couple of weeks. All is not what it seems and I'm the only one in that precinct you can trust. Especially now."