71. Conniving Measures: Josh Kennedy

NAOMI REID

Naomi walks out of the doctor's office, coming from her scheduled appointment. Her shoulder was healing nicely, without complications, and ahead of her doctor's initial timeline. She wasn't cleared to be back at work as yet but the doctor promised her within the next two weeks if she kept up wither her PT exercises. She was quite happy with her progress, wanting to get back in her ambo as soon as she could. Avery was also healing well, though she knew her recovery would be a little longer, forcing her to work with a temporary partner.

"Naomi," She hears her name called, looking up to see Josh standing at his car parked off to the side.

"You've got to be kidding!" She hisses, turning to walk in the other direction. She could hear Josh running up to her, sighing as he fell in step beside her.

"Would you like a ride back to your apartment?" He asks casually.

"Are you stalking me now?" Naomi asks angrily.

"No, no. Well, not really. I was on shift and saw you had a check-in today with the-"

"So you're using my confidential work records to stalk me!" Naomi cuts him off.

"I just want to talk to you, please Naomi. Please you have to listen to me, hear me out." Josh pleads. "I care for you. I mean I care about you, I just want to keep you safe. I know more about this, I've been in this life since I was a baby. You don't understand the immense danger you're in. Whatever lies he's told you to make you think he is safe, it it's-"

"Josh! Please stop," Naomi groans, cutting off his rant. "I know a lot, okay. More thank you think I do. It's my life, my choice and you need to accept that. I don't need you to worry about me. Please just drop it! And quit following me."

Josh sighs, coming to an abrupt stop, Naomi stopping as well to look at him, "You'll see Naomi. You'll see." He says defeated before he turns and walks away.

"Great. Well, that's a threat!" Naomi says out loud, face-palming herself.

~

As soon as Naomi reaches home, she packs a bag filled with clothes, planning to stay at Jensen's rather than her loft where she'd run into Josh every time she stepped out the door. She'd walked through the parking upon her arrival, searching for his and not seeing it anywhere among the others. Leaving her car, she opts for the bus, commuting to Jensen's work. Taking a total of three buses and one taxi. Once she was certain she wasn't being trailed, she let herself walk into the gym where Jensen worked.

"Well, well. Look who it is," She hears to her right as she enters, seeing Dalton standing to the side, writing on a clipboard a teenager held toward him. "My favorite paramedic."

"How many paramedics do you know?" Naomi fires back with a smile.

"Careful now, or you won't be my favorite anymore!" Dalton jokes. "J is with a trainee right now, and we don't close for another two hours." He informs her, eyeing her bag.

"Yeah, I know. Just wanted an early start considering the route I took to get here. So, you cool with me occupying one of your treadmills or do I need membership."

"You better purchase the premium membership if you want to use my machines," Dalton replies with a huff.

"Aw, thought I was your favorite paramedic!" Naomi says pouting dramatically, trying not to laugh.

"Go on, I'll just deduct it from Jensen's pay," Dalton says to her with a dismissive wave, returning his focus to the papers.

Naomi left with a chuckle, heading to the treadmills, and walking until it was time for them to close the gym. She and Dalton go back and forth with their childish banter as Jensen locks up, the three of them piling into his care afterward. Dalton and Naomi race for the front seat, and although he won the race, Jensen pushes his friend out of the way - allowing Naomi to sweep in and take the seat, laughing as she did so.