39. The Tip Of The Iceberg

NAOMI REID

"Down there, I see him. Wait a minute! There are two. We have two vics!" Avery says to Naomi as she drives down the street, parking the ambo near their victims.

"I'll call in for a second ambo," Naomi says as they hop out of their vehicle. Hand going to her radio, she calls it in as she and Avery grab the bag and gurney.

Avery heads to the first guy whilst Naomi takes the second a few feet away.

"Oh good. Help me! I can't feel my damn leg!" The man shouts out at Naomi as approaches him.

"What's your name sir?" She asks as she reaches him, crouching at his side.

"Just fix me dammit. Shit hurts!" The man replies groaning.

"One to the chest. One to the abdomen. One in the leg as well.  His pulse is weak, can't find any exit wounds!" Avery shouts out to her as she assesses her patient.

"What happened here?" She asks spotting the bullet wound in his shoulder and lower abdomen.

"Punk thought he could take me!" Was the man's only response. As she checks for an exit wound, she spots the handgun tucked into the waistband of the guy's pants. 

"Won't be needing this," Naomi says as she pulls it out and she slides the weapon far away from them, eliciting shouts of protest from the man.

"Keep still!" She scolds as the man tries to get up from his position.

~

Having dropped off their victim at T.C. General, Naomi pulls into the firehouse, parking the Ambo in its usual spot.

Walking into the firehouse, Avery walks over to the couch as Naomi heads to their kitchen area. Taking a plate, she begins dishing herself some food, "Smells amazing. Who was on cooking duty today?" She shouts her question out.

"That would be me, my lady" Parker replies walking up to her and doing a dramatic bow. "Do enjoy."

"Oh, I will! Hey, do you know if Kai ate already?" She asks Parker before he gets the chance to walk off.

"He's been weird the whole day. Weird and moody. But nah, he didn't eat. Matter of fact, he didn't eat breakfast either," Parker answers.

"Thanks, Parky," Naomi says in return giggling at Parker's expression at the nickname.

"When will you people ever let that one go!" He exclaims with a huff before walking away.

Taking out another plate, Naomi dishes out some food for her brother, heading to his office.
Using the plate to knock on the ajar door, she pushes it open, "Hey bro." She greets, entering.
Naomi feels her heart drop at the sight of Kai flinching at her presence. 

"Brought you some food, heard you didn't eat," She says to him softly holding out the plate to him.

With a sigh, Kai takes the plate from her without a glance, his eyes remaining on the book before him.

"What are you reading?" Naomi asks moving to peer over his shoulder.

"Did you want something else, Naomi?" He asks harshly making her back away.

Before she could answer the overhead speaker blares, getting their attention. Running out of the office, she places her plate on a table as she passes. Kai runs out of his office to the trucks as well, avoiding contact with her as he passes by.

Hopping into the ambulance, she drives behind Truck as they head to the scene.
"I saw Kai pass you like he didn't want you guys to touch. He's still being weird huh?" Avery comments from her seat.