21. The Calm Before Another Storm

JENSEN CARTER

Sounds of metal hitting metal and thuds of fast-moving feet against treadmills, filled the air as gym-goers push themselves to the limit. Grunts and heavy breaths escaped them as they worked out. At one machine, a man arches his back straining against the bench - His muscles burning as he struggled to push the bar above him. "Yes!" His friend beside him cheered as he was finally able to lock his arms. Helping him return the bar to the bench press rests, he high-fived his friend before going to retrieve more weights. Downstairs the main floor, the sounds of gloves hitting leather and the quick shuffling of feet sound throughout the room. With numerous punching bags and a boxing ring, the floor was dedicated to the more combat-related sports.

"No, no. If you continue to aim like that you're going to sprain your wrist," Jensen says to the teenager before him. "When you're punching straight on the bag, you have to hit flush with the knuckles. Have to land palm down, knuckles going into the bag like this," He says stepping to the bag to demonstrate. Jensen punches the bag before him slowly, making sure the boy sees how his hands hit the bag. He does this two more times before doing it at full speed.

"Now, try again," He says to the teenager. The boy steps up to the bag, positioning himself for the punch. Taking his time he imitates what Jensen had shown him, throwing three punches before stopping to look at his trainer. "Good correction! That was good," Jensen compliments him. The boy perks up happily at the praise before trying to play it cool. "Thanks! So, how long until we hop into the ring?" He asks excitedly.

"We still got a couple of techniques to cover before we reach the ring, Danny," Jensen replies with a chuckle. "But don't worry. You're making quick progress. We'll be there in no time." Danny nods, happy with Jensen's response. He goes back to punching the bag, Jensen watching him closely. He was impressed by how quickly Danny was learning and how well he took instruction.

"Danny," A female voice calls out. Turning behind them, Jensen sees Danny's mother walking to him, holding her yoga mat underneath her arms.

"Hey there Mr. Carter," She greets as she reaches him, Jensen replying with a "Hello Samantha".

"Danny, your session is up. Come on, I have a lot of things to do today," She says to her teenage son, placing a hand on top of his head.

"What? No! It feels like we just got started!" The boy whines. "Can we turn it into a double session? Please, mom?" He begs.

"Nope, go grab your things," She replies to him with a slight push. The boy sighs loudly, stomping off.

"He isn't much trouble, right? He listens to you and all that?" She says to Jensen once Danny was out of earshot.

"Are you kidding me? He listens to me more than my older trainees," Jensen replies making Samantha let out a relieved sigh. "That's so good to hear!" She pauses a minute, visibly hesitating before speaking again, "Has he ever mentioned his father to you?" She asks softly.

"No, why?" Jensen replies looking at her curiously.

"It's just that...Well, you see he died a few weeks back. And, Danny hasn't dealt with it. It hit the family hard and he began acting out at school and at home. Therapy did nothing but make him angrier - But I've been seeing a change in his behavior. He's better, I can tell," Samantha explains.

"Oh. I'm sorry to hear about your husband. But Danny hasn't brought it up, we've just been training. You know, boxing is a great way to release tension and aggression. I've had many people tell me how it helped them work through their thoughts and stresses. Calm them, help them reevaluate things in their life." Jensen says to her, Danny walking up to them just as he finished his sentence.