53. Another Bad Day

NAOMI REID

"We have a four-car accident here with multiple victims. We're going to need three more ambulances and," Naomi hears the chief radio in to dispatch as she and Avery pass him. The scene before them was one of their more serious car collisions for the week thus far. Two cars wedged together off to the far right, one jammed into a light pole and the other at the center of the road, hood destroyed and smoking. 

"Shit, what the hell happened here!" Avery comments as they wheel the gurney over to a victim who'd thrown himself out of his wrecked car. As they tend to him, she could hear their new lieutenant and Chief delegate responsibilities, splitting up the crew.

"Reid, I need you over here!" She hears Josh call to her over the radio.

"Copy that, on my way lieutenant," she replies, giving Avery a nod before moving. As she heads over to the silver wrecked car, the commotion of a revving engine and shouts fill the air. Turning to her side, all Naomi sees is Parker sprinting at her, tackling her to the ground as the wrecked car drags past - Crashing into another. Firefighters run to the car, yelling and fighting at the driver who still had his foot on the gas, burning out the tires as he accelerates into the other vehicle. 

Not sparing her a glance or a word, Parker gets up off the floor and heads to his crew. Knowing there wasn't time to linger, Naomi pushes herself up and runs the rest of the way to the silver car. Hose and Geo give her a lift into the vehicle through its window before passing her the medical bag. "We're trying to get the door off!" Hose comments in passing. She begins working quickly, not wanting to stay in the wreck longer than necessary.  "Send in the backboard, we could extract her through the window, she's stable to be moved." Naomi shouts to Hose.

"Smart thinking, get on it fellas." Josh says surveying the scene. Let me get in there to help you load her onto that thing!" Josh says as he begins climbing into the vehicle, not waiting for her response. 

"I'm smelling gasoline, pick up the pace in there you two," Geo shouts to them.

 With help from Josh, they manage to get the driver onto the board and out of the vehicle smoothly. "You first, come on." Josh instructs, grabbing her hand to help her maneuver to the window.  

Naomi moves carefully seeing Geo's hand waiting at the window. pulling her hand from Josh's, she accepts his, allowing him and Hose to pull her through the car's window, Josh exiting right behind her without any assistance. 

"Great work in there," Josh comments walking up to Naomi.

"Job's not over yet," Naomi replies to him before heading over to Avery. 

~

Pulling into the firehouse, Naomi parks the ambo in its usual spot. "Crazy call that was. I'm exhausted." Avery comments. "Whose turn was it to cook today, I'm starving." She says as they exit the ambulance.

"Not sure. I think it's Truck's week for kitchen duty." Naomi replies, walking alongside her. "Grab me a plate of whatever, I'm heading to the lockers for a sec." She says to Avery before heading in the other direction. 

As she reaches her locker, she could hear the faint sounds of a hushed argument. As she rounds the corner, she sees Parker and Josh, their exchange looking pretty heated. Cringing and not wanting to interrupt, Naomi spins on the balls of her feet, hightailing it out of the room. Entering their common area, she takes a seat next to Avery who raises an eyebrow questioningly. Leaning in close to her friend, she whispers, "Parker and Josh are getting into it. Both of them look beyond pissed."