58. Puzzle Pieces

DEAN STRAKEN

"I know it's a little late to bring this up, but a thought just struck me. Should we be doing this today? Should we be anywhere near the girls right now?" Calvin says to Dean as he takes the dish out of the oven.

"What do you mean?" Dean asks. "How else will you fill them in on what we found out? Besides, you're the one who invited them over. Not to mention, they should be here soon."

"I know... I just feel like I'm putting them in danger somehow," Calvin starts.

"In danger with Brooks?" Dean asks curiously. "It's not like you've given her any reason to keep tabs on you outside of work hours. I think I'm in the clear on that front too, for now at least."

"Yeah..." Calvin agrees with a sigh.

"She already knows them, remember. If Brooks wanted the girls badly enough, she wouldn't be following you to find them. She's met them already, and she has a way to get to them that's just as direct. Which is even more reason you have to let them know what's up."

Calvin sighs as he goes to his overhead kitchen cabinet, pulling out a stack of plates, "You're right, you're right. Best to warn and prepare them now."

"Exactly," Dean answers as Calvin forces the stack of dishes into his hands.

"Set these for me, would you." He says, his request being more of a statement. "Didn't have you come over so you could sit there and look pretty."

Dean scoffed as he got up from his seat, heading to Calvin's dining table. "The fancy plates? You never use these when it's just me!" He says to Calvin in mock offense.

"They're for special guests."

"You saying I'm not special?"

"You've been in my house way too many times to think you're a guest. You have your own keys!" Calvin rebuts.

"And to think I brought a cheesecake to this!" Dean huffed making the both of them laugh.

At the sound of a knock, Calvin heads over to the door, Dean watching him hug the girls in greeting.

"Hey, you switched up the place! I like it!" Naomi comments as they walk in. "Dean, hi!" She greets, having turned to the area where he was standing.

"Hey Naomi, Avery," He says to them, placing down the last plate. "You've been here before?" He asks curiously walking to the group.

A laugh escapes her as she nods in response to his question, "Yeah I have. I think it was the second day after I met Cal for the first time." She supplies with a chuckle, Calvin joining in.

"They both have actually," His friend adds. "Naomi had to talk me out of shooting Avery and her boyfriend!" He laughs making Dean's eyes go wide.

"Dude what?"

"Yeah, he had Naomi locked up in here with him," Avery adds making the Dean all the more confused. The three of them breaking out into laughter at his expression.

"Wow... how far we've come from that day!" Calvin exclaims. "We have to start from the beginning," He says to Dean with a pat on the shoulder.

~

Over a lunch of baked potatoes,  honey barbecue chicken, roasted pork, rice, and a side of fresh salad, Calvin and the girls tell Dean the full story of their first meeting. Naomi had to set the record straight each time Calvin tried to downplay his actions - the three of them laughing at the memory.