chapter xlvi.

"I don't really know why I am still hoping."

- unknown

Atarah.

I couldn't look at him. I didn't want to see whatever expression he was wearing, it would have made it so much worse. Wether it was disappointment, anger, or betrayal. Maybe all of them. And I know that Dumbledore made it worse, with the way he gloated over him. I hope he understood my words and knows that I will not betray him. I'm doing this for him, everything that is going to happen will be for him.

When he returns back to the others I hope that Vittorio will fill him in on some of the secrets we shared. To help him with the questions I could tell were begging to be answered. Back when I was training with blocking my mind, I had an idea that I wanted Vittorio to help me with. Since it was taking too much time to learn to protect my mind, I decided that it may be more effective if I learned legitimacy instead.

Vittorio automatically agreed and we secretly began working. It turned out that I was a much faster learner at that. We practiced whenever we got the chance. We would often do it at meals, while everyone else was oblivious to the conversation we were sharing. A part of me always looked forward to it. His small comments at whatever Tom would do would always cause me to laugh.

However the trade off of learning Legitimacy instead of protecting my mind has left me vulnerable here. But if I play my part right then it shouldn't matter in the end. Dumbledore will be dead and he'll no longer be a harm to the people I care about.

...

"Your presence is requested in the dining hall." A woman's voice speaks through the wall that separates me and the rest of the house. In the past few days I have learned three things. The first being that Dumbledore has be hidden away in a place far away from Scotland. The second is that he only requests my presence at night, mostly because he has to hold up his position at Hogwarts during the day. And the last thing is that he's got more people on his side than we first anticipated.

Many of their faces are concealed by cloaks or they leave the room when I enter so I have no way of knowing who any of them may be. Which I suppose is a small blessing for me. I'm not sure how much more I can take right now.

...

"Come closer my dear." I shuffle forward slowly until I stand directly before him. He holds out his forearm and I wrap my arm around his. By now I know what he wants because every night is the same. Next we begin our walk through the dimly lit halls.

Usually it's silent but not tonight. The wind whips against the walls and sends a chill through my body. "How was your day?"

Mechanically I answer it, "It was the same as always." His grip tightens on my arm. "You should really be more grateful."

I don't bother to respond to that and he doesn't push it further. We reach the entrance to the stairs that lead to a cellar. Panic begins to set in as to what is to come. He opens the door and waits for me to take the first step down. I know I'm stalling and if I wait any longer it will only make him mad. So I begin the descent.

The temperature drops the farther I go down and I have to focus all my energy on not falling down the steep stairs. I hear Dumbledore behind me which only makes me take the stairs faster. Once my feet hit the stone floor I step to the side as I wait for Dumbledore. He reaches me only a few moments later and he doesn't have to mutter a word because I know the routine perfectly.

I slowly make my way over to the wooden chair that's been placed in the middle of the room. I set myself on it and the moment I do ropes tie themselves around my wrists and ankles. My heart beat speeds up as he stands across from me.