The Room

"TaeTae? This is your room?"

Jimin stood at the threshold of Taehyung's room and gaped inside with wide eyes. He always had this secret wish to see how the younger's room looked like.

He had imagined a minimalistic room with simple furnishings. Given Taehyung's knack for arranging things in absolute order, the idea seemed fit. In addition to the room being extremely well organized, Jimin had always thought the room must be giving off vintage vibe like the rest of the house with teakwood walls and floorboards and warm yellow lights; maybe not a chandelier, but still old school.

But this room? Wow. Jimin doesn't even know where to begin. This has thrown him off kilter.

For starters, the room was stark white compared to the rest of the house. It was as if you time traveled to the modern era straight from the 50s as you climbed up the stairs. The blinding whiteness of the walls was interrupted by the ceiling, which was pitch black. The blackest black that Jimin has ever seen.

It wasn't a vast expanse of black. Because something broke the pattern.

Jimin squinted his eyes and saw what appeared to be dots. A few more minutes of intense gazing later, he realized they were stickers of stars and a few shooting stars. There was a crescent moon too, to the right corner of the room.

The ceiling mimicked the night sky.

To the left of the room, a white four poster queen bed occupied the space with two night stands on either side. Two small lamps sat on each of them. White curtains cascaded down from the bed and was secured to the posters. The bed was neatly made. Crisp white sheets with four white pillows and a white comforter. It looked so warm and cosy, Jimin wanted to dive in and spend the rest of his life snuggled inside.

The floor was carpeted as opposed to the exposed floorboards of the rest of the house. Towards the right corner, under the crescent moon of the ceiling, an easel stood with paint bottles, brushes and a wooden palette with messy patches of color. Jimin could tell that something was sketched on the canvas but color was yet to be filled in. It looked bare but beautiful.

There was a desk slid against the right wall of the room. As far as desks go, this was extremely neat to the point that it looked as if it arrived this morning and the owner hasn't found the time yet to put all their stuff on it. There were only a few notebooks (or sketchbooks?) stacked neatly to the left. To the right a small pen holder held what appeared to be sketching tools like pens and pencils. Right at the center was another leather bound sketch pad which Jimin immediately recognized as the one Taehyung brought with him to the cafe everyday.

Jimin also noticed something else. A small picture frame. He shuffled a little closer to get a better view. Two young boys stood beside an old lady; their grandmother.

He smiled as he identified the people; Namjoon wearing a blue polo Tshirt and a red SnapBack and holding what appears to be a toy car, grinning as he proudly showed it off to whoever was taking the picture.

Their grandmother was a small petite person, like most grandmothers are. She was smiling genuinely as he had her hands wrapped around her two grandsons. To her left stood Taehyung. He wore a green T-shirt. Surprisingly, he looked comfortable as he leaned into his grandmother's side. He wasn't looking at the camera, but rather to his left somewhere. His tiny hands held onto each other as if fidgeting. He had a neutral expression as usual. But Jimin could tell, he was happy or rather satisfied.

He must have really been close to his grandmother, Jimin smiled fondly as he wondered.

Other than this one picture, there wasn't anything else on the walls. It was all empty. Just light scones scattering white lights. No other decorations of any sort.