8 - Finding Out

I zone out as me and the boys walk to Potions, not bothering to join in with whatever nonsense they were talking about.

When we get to the class, Slughorn is as enthusiastic as usual, which is annoying when its first thing in the morning.

Remus and I sit beside each other, and I notice as Slughorn begins to talk Remus isn't really paying much attention.

I lightly kick him in the leg, making him look over at me in confusion.

"Are you alright?" I whisper. "You seem distracted."

"I'm fine." He whispers back.

He doesn't seem fine, but I choose not to worry about it too much right now and return my focus to Slughorn.

The rest of the day drags on, its boring as hell, all we do in each class is talk about what we'll be learning this year.

After classes me and the boys hang out in the common room, but Remus soon heads upstairs, claiming to be tired.

I'm worried about him, is he getting sick or something?

Maybe he is just tired. Maybe I'm just worried about nothing, overthinking things like usual.

The next morning Remus doesn't come down to breakfast. James, Sirius and Peter say they don't know why he didn't come down, so I head up to his dorm to check on him.

When I walk in I see him shoving a couple shirts into a backpack.

"Hey," I greet him. "Everything alright?"

"Uh yeah, kinda." He answers, stopping what he was doing to look over at me. "My mum is ill, I'm going home to visit her for a couple days."

"Oh, is she okay?"

"Yeah, she'll be fine, I just want to see her."

"Okay, well I hope she feels better."

"Thanks." Remus smiles slightly before returning to packing.

"I'll see you later."

"Yeah, bye."

I head to my dorm, deciding to just try and stop worrying about Remus and distract myself with a book.

This then goes on for a couple months, Remus going home to visit his mum once a month, and I don't even bother to question it until one DADA class.

"Today we are learning about werewolves." The teacher waves their wand and a bunch of notes appear on the chalkboard.

I notice Remus shift uncomfortably in his seat.

The teacher talks as we write down the notes. I finish writing quite quickly and look over at Remus to see he hasn't wrote anything.

"Are you okay?" I ask quietly.

"Yeah, I'm fine." He answers but I don't believe him. He must see the concerned look on my face. "I promise I'm fine, I'm just tired."

I try not to worry about him, but it's difficult. I end up not really paying attention for the rest of the class.

But soon class is over, and thankfully it was the last one of the day.

James, Sirius, Remus, Peter and I were walking back to the common room, James, Peter and Sirius were complaining about the homework we were assigned, Remus was zoned out and I was worrying about Remus.

He's been acting odd since the teacher started talking about werewolves.

I try to distract myself, but I can't help but worry about him.