21 - A Date

As we near exam time, homework begins piling up, so Remus and I plan on hanging out in the library after class to work on it together.

The last class I have in the day is Muggle Studies, the only class that I'm in without Remus, so we're just going to meet at the library.

"Hey, James, Peter and I were going to sneak outside and wander around the forbidden forest, you in?" Sirius asks as we walk out of the classroom.

"No, Remus and I are going to do homework," I respond.

"Lame," He groans.

"I promise we can all sneak out together another day," I say. "But I cant imagine wandering around a forest is going to be very interesting."

"It's apparently dangerous." He shrugs.

"The only dangerous rumour I've heard about it is that werewolves live in the forest," I argue. "And we both know that's not true."

"Yeah, the only werewolf around here lives in my dorm and steals any chocolate he can find," He mumbles quietly.

"Exactly. Now I'm gonna go hang out with that chocolate stealing werewolf, so I'll see you later."

We part ways and I head to the library.

I slowly wander into the library, walking towards mine and Remus' usual spot. My eyes drift across the shelves, nothing really catches my eye but I'm always looking for something interesting to read. I say as if I don't have like ten unread books on my nightstand right now.

I arrive at the table we usually sit at and see Remus' things, but he isn't around. My eyebrows furrow in confusion and I decide to glace down the next couple aisles of books to see if I can find him.

And I do find him. Pushed up against a bookshelf, kissing a girl. My eyes widen in shock and my heart feels like it shatters.

Nope. Didn't want to see that. Nope nope nope.

I turn around and rush out of the library.

I begin heading back to the common room, ignoring my dumb feelings and trying to hold back the tears that were threatening to fall.

Why does this bother me so much? Remus is my friend, nothing more, he's allowed to kiss whoever he wants. It shouldn't hurt as much as it does.

I'm way too lost in thought and accidentally bump into someone.

"I'm so sorry," I apologise quickly.

"It's alright," Alex says, smiling at me. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I answer. He looks like he doesn't believe me but seems to decide not to question me further.

"I was just going to head down to dinner if you want to come with me," He offers.

"I-" I go to decline but then realise I have no reason to. Usually I'd decline because I always have dinner with the boys, but James, Sirius and Peter are out exploring, and Remus is... occupied. "Yeah, sure."

"Awesome," He smiles. "Let's go."

We talk as we head down to the hall and it manages to take my mind off things.

"So, I know we haven't really talked since our date last year," Alex says as we eat.

"Yeah, sorry about that."

"No, it's okay," He insists. "I was just wondering if you'd maybe like to go on another date sometime."

"Of course. That sounds great," I smile.