30 - Forced

The first week of the holidays aren't actually too bad. Sirius, Regulus and I manage to mostly stay out of mums way and avoid trouble.

But apparently there's some people coming for dinner tonight, so we cant just hide away in the comfort and safety of our beds.

"I want all of you to be on your best behaviour," Mum hisses at us, it's very clearly directed towards Sirius and I rather than Regulus.

We're all dressed up nicely - which sucks because I would much rather be in my pyjamas right now - so I'm assuming whoever is coming over has been deemed important. Sirius complained when he was made to tie his hair back, but promptly shut up when mum said it was either he tie it back or she'd cut it off.

We wait for whoever is coming to arrive and I immediately frown when I see who appears in the fireplace. Two older people and a boy who looks around our age.

Holy fucking shit, it's that guy from the Christmas party a few years ago. I cant quite remember his name, but I know it was something stupid, Sirius and I were joking about it after, trying to make light of the whole situation.

I can tell Sirius recognises him too because he tenses up, an angry look on his face. I grab his arm, partially in attempts to calm him down, but mostly just so I can hold him back if he tries to punch this guy.

"Ah, hello Muriel," Mum says, greeting the woman. "Lovely to see you again."

"You too Walburga," The woman, Muriel, responds. "So great that we're having this get together."

"Yes, it most certainly is." Mum nods. "Well, these are my children, Regulus, Sirius and Y/n. Y/n, I'm sure you remember Muriel's son, Corvus. You met him at the Christmas party a few years ago."

"Yes, of course," I say politely.

"No point standing around," Dad says. "Lets go have dinner."

I sit uncomfortably through the whole dinner. I only spoke when I was directly spoken to, I avoided eye contact with everyone, and I weirdly felt as though Corvus was staring at me throughout the meal. It was uncomfortable and all I could think about was escaping to my room and curling up in bed with a book.

The dinner feels like it drags on forever, but it comes to an end and our guests leave.

"So, Y/n, what did you think of Corvus?" Mum asks me before I can head upstairs.

"Um, he's alright I guess," I answer, not wanting to be rude about him in front of her - though I'm sure Sirius and I will be up late tonight talking shit about him.

"Well, you'd better start thinking of him as more than 'alright,'" She says.

"What do you mean?" I question.

"He's going to be your husband."

"What?" Sirius and I both exclaim at the same time.

"Sirius, Regulus, upstairs, now," Mum says. Both my brothers look at me worriedly before doing as they were told. "Y/n, the only way for you to repair your reputation within this family is by marrying a respectable pureblood."

"I don't give a shit about my reputation, I'm not going to just marry some random guy," I exclaim. "I'm only sixteen, this is crazy."

"Don't raise your voice at me," She snaps angrily. "And you will be marrying him. And don't think you can just run off like you've done every other year, because if you do, Regulus is the one who will be disciplined."

"You cant hurt him for something I do," I argue.

"Cant I?" She questions. "You will do as I say and stop being such a disgrace to this family."