11 - Summer

Tw: abuse

Being at home has been crap. I cannot wait to go back to school.

Me and Sirius have decided to place a bunch of Gryffindor themed decorations all around our shared room and when mum saw it, she flipped. We obviously got in a lot of trouble, but it was funny, so it was worth it.

"Kids, come downstairs!" Mum yells, sounding mad. "Now!"

"Have we done anything?" Sirius questions.

"Not that I can think of." I shrug.

"Well, she's probably found something to be mad at us for," He says. "Let's go."

We head downstairs, walking into the living room where mum is standing. Regulus is already down here.

"Your Hogwarts letters have arrived," She says. "We will be going shopping for your school supplies in three days." She then addresses just me and Sirius. "If the two of you do not behave, I will not be signing your Hogsmeade permission slips, am I understood?"

"Yes," Sirius and I mumble at the same time.

So, a few days later, we head to Diagon Alley.

I can tell by the look on Sirius' face all day that he is up to something, but I don't really care enough to question him.

It's boring as hell as we walk around the stores. I hate shopping with mum. Despite the fact that I have my own money with me, she isn't letting me buy anything.

I manage to sneak off once we get to the bookstore though. Mum is paying for our schoolbooks, so I take the opportunity to browse.

I turn around when I feel a tap on my shoulder.

"James!" I exclaim happily.

"Hey," He says, equally happy, pulling me in for a hug.

"What are the chances that we just so happen to be here shopping on the same day?"

"Pretty high actually," He says. "Sirius wrote to me and told me that you'd be shopping today, so I asked my parents if we can come today too. Where is Sirius by the way?"

"No idea." I shrug. "I wandered off."

"Of course you did," He laughs. "I hate to admit it, but I've missed you."

"Aw, you missed me," I say teasingly.

"You're annoying and I have immediately forgotten why I was missing you."

I just grin at him. "Come on, let's go find Sirius."

We walk around the small store for a moment, James rambling on about how his summer has been.

Finally, we find Sirius. The two boys immediately begin excitedly talking to each other, so I take this as an opportunity to wander again. I find a few books that seem interesting, plus one that Lily recommended I read, so I end up grabbing way too many books and I know I'm not going to get around to reading any of them because I have like fifty books at home I need to read but I still want to buy them anyways. I have problems.

As I'm headed to the checkout, Mum approaches me.

"What do you think you're doing with all those books?" She asks.

"Buying them?" I respond confusedly.

"You have no need for all that rubbish," She says. "I will not have you wasting money."

"It's my own money," I argue. "Why can't I buy whatever I want?"

"Because I'm your mother and I say you're not allowed. So put them back. Now."