Chapter 11 Sown Seeds

Otto was hurrying back home. He pushed the mansion's grand gates aside and ignored the greetings of the guards that his father had stationed outside. His feet peppered the ground propelling him past all the personnel within the house. Butlers, maids, and cooks all inhaled a teaspoon of the dust he left in his wake. Up the stairs to the second floor, towards the east wing, left corridor, a right. At the finish line was the door that contained everything he had left. He stopped at the door and panted a bit, hands on his knees, before barging in.

Eleanor who had been dutifully attending to Vera was woken up by his sudden entrance. Vera was fast asleep purring softly, the medicine beside her bed was about to run out. Otto tiptoed across the albino bear fur carpet and pulled up a chair beside Eleanor.

"Shouldn't we talk outside?" Eleanor whispered.

"No. Has anyone seen you?"

Eleanor shook her head, clueless about the situation at hand. Otto slouched back in his chair, relief flooded off his body. His cold sweat started to warm. Eleanor couldn't help but admire his chiseled jawline and long lashes. The light sweat that had condensed on his brow fed her eyes.

"Here," Eleanor whispered as she handed Otto a towel. He accepted it gratefully and lightly dabbed the droplets away. A window opened and Eleanor took it. "Why is it important that I remain hidden?"

"That's because only your mother, Vera, and I know that you're alive."

"My squad knows."

"They do but your mother made them swear secrecy. You snuck back into the mansion with her right?"

"Yes. Otto is there a chance?"

"That the servants have seen you? Perhaps, but we can't cry over spilled milk. Eleanor when you were trapped. I wrote serval excuses to fuel my own desires. They may not be the sole factors but my actions have immeasurably magnified the rift between your family and the factions of power. We're on the cusp of an internal war and you need to get home safely."

"So I'm to blame for a potential civil war?"

"No. You're not. It's my responsibility. It's my fault. Just like Vera's condition. Just like-"

"Kallen's death?"

Deafening silence followed Eleanor's words. A bubble of hard air prevented her from saying another word. Otto's body became very rigid and Vera stirred a bit as Eleanor's voice had been a decibel too loud to be considered a whisper.

"I'm so-"

"Her death was my fault. You have the right to despise me, abhor me. All I've ever done was use you for my benefit. But please wait this week out. For your mother, your family. Avoid my father and his eyes. You'll get home, safely."

The conversation was over and Otto edged closer to the bed unpacking all the medicine he had purchased for Vera's recovery. The table beside the bed was once again cluttered with herbs and test tubes. The mortar pestle started to take on new scents, scour, and sweet, fresh yet stale. Eleanor could only watch in silence, fingers curled on her knees.

'That's not what I was asking for. That's not what I meant to say.' She thought. She instinctively started to start another conversation. Natural lush lips opened and closed but a light knock robbed her of the chance.

Glory peaked her head through the door and motioned for Otto to talk with her. Eleanor watched as he walked out the door, his face a mask of indifference. It was a moment she would never forget. The door closed soundly and Eleanor directed her attention back towards Vera and the medicine Otto procured. She was familiar with some of the herbs: verbena, sage, celandine, and opium poppy. The rest she couldn't identify but the effective mix Otto had made was more dilute than the ones he had made for Eleanor.