Chapter 64 Dam

"Clear the canal!" Kallen roared.

Villagers scrambled to the banks of a new canal. The river bed was set with packed mud and gravel. Various mist plants and river grasses peaked from beneath the sparse smooth rocks. The little crevices and the natural run-downs would be the perfect homes for fish. Most importantly the water from the mountain range would nourish the village for centuries to come.

Upstream, by the dam that Kallen had made like a beaver. Sakura sat perched up on a tree. The branches didn't register her weight but they trembled. Dirt flew from beneath her, reaching her pristine yukata.

"Be more gentle."

Kallen looked up, the wood she shoved away and the dirt she sent flying was collected in an innumerable amount of wooden carts. The villagers would find a great use for these materials, the only issue they had was blasphemy against the spirits. Their stigma against Kallen had not yet faded.

"Why don't you come down and help me? You get your clothes dirty every day."

"I'm fast enough to avoid the grime."

"It's your footwork technique."

"Do you want me to teach you?"

"I thought it was a secret."

"Maybe not to you."

"No, there's no need, I like rolling in mud thank you very much. In my family's estate Otto and I would..."

The name was dropped once more and Kallen's bright expression was shaded dark. She turned away from the trees and focused on shoveling away her makeshift dam. The project took three weeks. The dam, 25 meters in width and 7 meters deep, grew rigid with her actions. It was the wall in her heart that she was afraid to push past.

"Who is he to bring you so much pain?"

Kallen continued to shovel pretending to not hear Sakura's question. It was just a few weeks ago, it was clear this idea came from this "Otto." Sakura caught glimpses of blinking silver, the ring put in a necklace close to her heart.

"If he hurt you I can't forgive him," Sakura vowed, hopping down. "Someone who can take precious feelings of joy, memories. I won't let them come after you."

"He's not like that. Aren't I stronger than you?"

A pained smile, a gentle sway. Sakura realized her vow, but she wouldn't take it back. She reached for Kallen's hand to comfort her. They stood before the leaking dam for a few moments. Kallen was gazing away absentmindedly. Sakura was feeling her cheeks heat up slowly.

"You are. Who is Otto? I can at least ask this much?"

Kallen waited a few minutes before replying. Sakura's ears twitched nervously. Perhaps there was still some distance between her and Kallen. But if she wanted to get closer she had to ask these questions.

"He was supposed to be on my side." Kallen finally said. With her free hand she clutched her ring close to her heart. "I went to find him or what happened to him."

"And you found..."

"He left. I don't know if he was taken or escorted. His final actions, I don't know who he did it for but it couldn't have been for me. Else he wouldn't have lied for so long."

"So you don't know."

"I don't. Maybe I should have dug deeper. Questioned him. Tied him up in a dark room on a chair. A candle to his face. Making him spill all his secrets."

"So you're scared of the wall that was made?"

"I'm... please don't pry anymore. Everyone has their secrets."