Chapter 32 Capstone

Sasha made her way through the cold halls of the mansion, the Bulter Richards let her in. Why Otto insisted on returning to this stifling place was lost on Sasha's mind. Perhaps it was that library or his wasteland of a room. There was always warm and tragic air that wafted from those sections. Sasha peaked into the library, the heavy doors creaked with ease as she spotted no sign of her golden savior.

Then came his room, on the second story of the lonely castle. She knocked on the door lightly and for a moment she thought he wasn't there. But the scuffling of movements and the clattered of some unknown object, alerted her to his presence.

"Otto."

"Sasha?!"

Despite the unkempt appearance and despite the messy long hair Otto looked more beautiful than ever. It was that smile, a breath of good news, he was most holy when he was clumsy. An open letter rested on his desk.

"It's late." Sasha proclaimed as she walked over. She was oblivious to the mask Otto had brushed under his desk. When was the last time he had a good night's sleep? It was as though Kallen had protected him and rewarded him for his actions.

"Oh goodness me, is it noon?"

"Yes, you're late. I had to teach everyone how to read."

"I'm sorry. I'll be over right away."

Sasha hopped on Otto's knee cutely. Only she had the liberty of doing this, though she only did it in private.

"It's fine. We can wait like this."

"Sasha, now I have duties."

"You've finally received some good news. You've finally slept."

"That I did. A friend and my sister are doing well. You helped me at the time. Vera is doing better..."

"At that time? Vera?"

"Ah never mind it. Hop on my shoulders and let's get going."

"In heavy attire? Why do you smell like smoke? Why are you wearing such thick gear?"

"Adult things Sasha, I have several late-night duties as the lord of Koleston."

"Like catching the criminal escapist?"

"That person isn't as important. Henry almost died in the dealings with soap. I accompanied several teams to weed out the facilities but I've yet to find their base of operations."

"I-I'm sorry I haven't been much help. But isn't the troupe more important? They're-they're putting your life in danger when you've done so much."

Otto patted Sasha's head gently. A few droplets had squeezed through her eyelashes. A handkerchief did its best to quell her worries.

"My life will always be in danger but I can assure you the thief means no harm. Sasha, you've grown up faster than kids should. It's my fault such a situation occurred. To bring change and allow children the time to be children is one of my many duties. Like growing a flower, a child must get plenty of sun, nutrients, and care. It's something every child deserves."

"So you're saying I can't help? That I can't make the people see what's truly happening?"

"No, I only want you to retain what you can. To nurture your happy future."

"And what if that future requires someone important? Someone I can't lose?"

"..."

"I'm scared. I'm afraid if I don't fight, I'll lose my home again."

Otto caught her tears more preciously this time. A warm embrace and a rhythmic stroke settled on her hair. Every flower needed lots of care. Minutes passed and Sasha calmed down before Otto resumed their conversation, carefully crafting the right words to say.