Chapter 44 Just One Night

"I've got the three of us one room. Can you stand outside for a moment while I get her settled down?"

There weren't enough rooms to accommodate all the villagers as a result many families had to share a few facilities. Only the Head of the Yae Village and Kallen had the luxury of having a room to themselves. One was given such liberties because it was ingrained into the tradition of the village. The other was favored because she was protecting them.

"Of course. Do you need me to check her condition?"

"There's no need. I'll drag you in once I've cleaned her up."

The checked paper door slid close and Otto who had been keeping his composure steady all this time toppled to the floor. Blood oozed from his mouth hand covered mouth. He quickly downed a pill and procured a handkerchief to clean up the mess he made.

'I thought a beast showed up but it was just this.'

"I'm fine," Otto replied allowing the Void Archives to speak as he recalled the contents of Kallen's letter.

Otto,

Have you been well? I need help. A monster has appeared in Yae Village where I'm hiding. It's a day sail east of Lan's village. Can you send me the Oath of Judah? I want to protect this village and her.

Kallen didn't sign her name at the time. She didn't need to, he understood her plight immediately. But from the linguistics on the page, one could tell that every word was written with great struggle. Ink pressed too heavily at some letter conjunctions and the paper cracked in some sections. Otto betrayed her twice, and trusting him again was giving him the chance to break her heart in two once more.

'Do you think, she would notice?'

"No the enhancement only applied to my senses. Regrettably, I wasn't able to test for further benefits. The girls will never have to use these serums."

'But didn't you say that as long as you have those pills the effects should be reversed?'

"Oh they will, you're aware of the other drug I've made no?"

'Ah yes, your crowning achievement. You've truly become a powerholder, boy.'

Otto smirked and closed off the Void Archives. The cards he had were impossibly valuable but he didn't intend to use them to fix the world. If he did the revolution would be far from bloodless. Besides his plans were enough to change the world. Even that deadline the contract imposed on him would not get in the way of his plans. Even though it had only been two days since he received Kallen's letter.

"You knew she was alive, didn't you?"

'If Eleanor was able to survive with a false core. What about the girl with the real article? Speaking of which...'

"I'll ask her about it but she's sure to have sealed it by now. Or lost it."

Otto scowled as he recalled the beast she fended off earlier today. It disappeared in black vapor and it seemed to have sneaked up on the castle right under Kallen's watch. Perhaps it didn't truly have a complete body and if that were the case then.

'Kallen would still be able to deal with it. She has the Oath and the villagers are leaving. I should leave too I don't have much time and I've got to tail Cain. Plan two will be to head to France but I can't tarry for a moment.'

In truth Otto shouldn't have made the trip, he shouldn't have paid the price of the travel or the time but he just wanted to see Kallen once more, one final time. A sigh escaped Otto's lips, he started to pen a letter for Kallen. But just as he reached for the parchment the sliding door opened and like a trapdoor spider, Kallen snatched him in.