Chapter 14 Strengths

Koleston's streets held no quarter for the financially stricken lower class. Though it was easy to wallow in her despair, the sorry state of those around Eleanor was something she couldn't ignore. Every alley in the midways of the city had at least one occupant sheltering from the coming icy spring winds. Whether they be under a makeshift roof, made of rotting crate wood, or huddled up in a moth-ridden blanket, the people of the city all had the same moon-winked eyes.

Eleanor made her way past a few of these sorry figures, some of them had the smell of ammonia on them, burnt and bitter, almost tar-like. The grimy cobblestone left collected her prints like stamps. The moonlight reflected each print she made that cleared the creeping moss over stones. A sudden weak tug at the bottom end of her cloak captured her full attention.

"Miss, miss, spare a coin for me two youngins. We haven't eaten for days."

Shaggy uncut hair, rags that covered her body no better than the shadows of the night, the frail woman hadn't but the faintest of hope within her thin kneeling frame. Eleanor looked around and saw two children wrapped up behind the woman in a surprisingly spotless blanket. It was bright red and sprung from yarn, only bought recently. The alleyway filth had just reached its outer edges but something else had already got the children's blued fingertips. They held a bittersweet scent to them.

"Maam, I'm sorry but a few shillings won't-"

"Just a pence is fine, some warm soup for them. To do them well. Please."

"Just a moment ma'am."

Eleanor reached for her coin purse but found it empty. She rummaged some more desperate for the clink of precious coins. Yes, there were a few saved at the bottom of the well. Four shillings. Eleanor paused as she clasped this frugal amount. She could have given more if she had not wasted it on the bitter soap. Nonetheless, she forked over the money and placed them into the woman's outstretched hands which looked quite clean for a beggar.

"This is too much young miss. Too much."

"Your children. I wish your family the best. I'm well off."

Eleanor couldn't see past the curtain of disheveled hair, not once had she met the woman's eyes. But her plight was plain to see, coupled with her gratuitous posture Eleanor thought nothing more of the poor woman and turned to continue on her path. A few steps near the end of the alley she stopped in her tracks. The sack full of delusion was examined once more, Eleanor peered into its corrupt bog, darker than the night sky. It was just for a moment, a moment of clarity, a moment to think.

"What am I even doing?" Eleanor spoke out loud before forcefully tossing the bag aside. The substance splattered against the alleyway before it slowly and thickly mopped down to the cobbled stones, becoming one with the gunk that filled the cracks.

"That's a good question."

The shadows shifted and converged around Eleanor. Three figures, uniformed in the sunlight armor of the Valkyrie order, brightened the space surrounding her.

"Captain what are you doing?"

"Cathy?"

"Your mother asked us to find you, but you've visited none of our gathering spots. The river post tower, the creek by the wall, you weren't even at the old abandoned clock tower."

"Alice?"

"Captain, we're sorry. You must have been scared."

Eleanor felt someone embrace her from behind, her scent like a juniper tree. Words soft and shy.

"Cohline?"

"It's us we caught sight of you by the bakery. Your mother asked us for help. The others are searching in secret. Disguising it as a late-night patrol. Let's get you home ok? That way you can cry all you want."