Chapter 47 His Lies

A rare light snow had fallen over Paris. The city was blanketed in pure bliss that overshadowed the traces of dissent that riddled the streets. The rusted knives at every alley end could not even catch a glimpse of the perched sun that was too afraid to shine any more light on the city below. Blood ran through the sewers and the people huddled around those blessed kitchens for safety and comfort. Today was oddly peaceful as if some sort of truce was formed to welcome clueless guests into the city. Not even a whisper of woe could be heard as the like powder snowflakes quieted them. The only sound that could be heard under those gray slated roofs and those triple-piped chimneys was the sound of hooves peeling snow from the pavement.

The near-empty streets of Paris presented a beautiful City of Light for the fairy of snow that sat upon a young milky mare. It was a shame really. The city of Paris wasn't welcoming a guest but a prisoner. Dull steel cuffs weighed her down while her mind seemed to be in a place far from grace. Her attendants or captors to be more accurate led her to the Grand Cathedral of Paris. A room waited for her there, not a dungeon but indeed an enclosure.

The tall doors of the cathedral parted to beckon them in where an entourage was cautious to meet them. Kallen's neck creaked as she looked up from her horse's saddle. This wasn't a church she recognized before not that it mattered. She had traveled all across Europe on duty, there was no sightseeing in those times.

"It's a pleasure to see you safe and well." A sickly sweet voice rang from the altar. "Under the Overseer's excellence, I shall now take the former Holy Maiden to her quarters."

Ears perked and people shuffled out of the church. They weren't commoners, of course, all served under the church or presumably so. Even the Valkyries that escorted her here left, they were all filth. A muck that didn't deserve to stand by the heroine.

"Ah, Kallen Kaslana." Risa mused as she walked over to take Kallen off her steed. "You don't know how happy I am to see you. Tsk. Tsk. When my dear baby brother finds out. Well, I'll let you meet him, he'll be overjoyed I'm sure."

"The church is still as rotten as ever," Kallen spoke softly. A trace of her heroic spirit flashed in her eyes but it was just a trace. There were many people she hurt, many people she couldn't save, and because of that, she was a sinner. Foolish thinking, but every fool had a partner.

"Yes rotten enough to send you the Oath of Judah. Tell me how did your uncle send it to you? Was the messenger someone important? Was the messenger someone obscure?"

"I couldn't tell you who they were or are."

"Ah, ah that's no matter," Risa said closing her fan. An item of class, there was no warmth to fan away. "Follow."

Unable to do much else Kallen complied. A short trip out the rear entrance and over fresh melting snow put them in front of a terraced cafe. There was a name but Risa didn't bother refurbishing the storefront. Out of business, closed. That's what the wooden street sign said. Kallen walked into a place that was still relatively clean. The bar was still set and the stools only stood upside down on round-top cafe tables. There were people inside as well but Risa didn't interact plan to interact with them at the moment. A couch and cushion were pulled over and Risa being the ever-hospital host she was poured Kallen some tea that had been prepared beforehand. They sat opposite a coffee table their respective cups of tea growing colder by the minute.

"You've had quite the adventure out east."

Kallen said nothing. She tuned in to the sounds around her, some whimpering and a bit of scraping. In those streets, she could hear the faintest whispers of distress. Childless mothers, the cold clasp of starvation, and a sickening cold wind.