Chapter 53 Epiphany

Frederick Kaslana wasn't one to celebrate his victories. He wasn't one to parade his prizes before others. Whether those others be the most pretentious of pricks or the vilest of vixens, Frederick Kaslana would never gloat. Nonetheless, the prisoner chain was seen by every soul in the city. He didn't announce their capture and yet the news spread. Cats peeked from the window sills, parents covered the eyes of their children as they peeped from half-open doors. That was the night walk back to the prison. That was the assortment process that left Fred feeling waxed out. Every one of the setbacks Verse had given him had been ripped off like hair. No relief flooded his nerves, only shock, and pain. He rubbed his chin, Verse was still out there, an enigma of unstable power.

"City lord, may I come in?"

Ah, there it was that voice. It was great that she had come to him. He reclined in his desk chair formulating a plot. Politics had turned him into a schemer.

"The door is unlocked."

A small click and she was in. The suspicious pickled Netherland sprat needed to be settled. He glanced at his desk, new documents, and a sample pouch, the meeting was ready. Better if it is set in private given the leak.

"We've found no traces of the thief. Unfortunately, he's escaped, but we have sightings of a bloody man leaving an alley. It's by Porter Street, just south of the Dans Well. We're following the trail but..."

"It's gone cold."

"Yes, my lord."

Fred started to fiddle with a piece in his hand. Despite the times, he could still make such comforting memories. Otto had a particular chess style, in all of their matches he would forbid himself from using this piece.

"Willia. You're a spy aren't you?"

Fred sharpened his senses to confirm his suspicions. A heartbeat quickened ever so slightly and he heard the grating sands of the desert in her parching throat. He's been so far south only once, the memories weren't pleasant.

"Pardon, my lord?"

Fred snorted and tossed the bag of powder at Willia. He was tempted to send the papers her way but that would have been unnecessary.

"The warehouse was only accessible and accessed once in the past month. A few days ago in fact. The day where the guards were sent elsewhere and you took a 'routine' inspection."

"My lord-"

"Dispute it all you want, your clown has lost and he'll no longer tarnish another soul. You know this though and this doesn't explain why he was always a step ahead of me. Let's make a deal. Help me exonerate Otto Apocalypse and you can go free."

Shakespeare met Frederick's eyes steadily. His front failed to shake her. She wasn't like the rest of the troupe. She was a noble and her family was favored by Cain Kaslana. It was because her father sent that letter of aid. A precursor idea for the growing power of the Kaslanas.

"He's done no good. The Apocalypse family is rotten. All have blood on their hands."

"Not Will. Not-"

"The ones that currently live. I'm sure there's plenty the Holy Son has hidden from your eyes. Experimentation. Exploitation. Mass murder."

"Accolades of his father. Do you see children hungry? Do you see families on the streets? Do you think that what the clown steals from the wealthy changes the economic structure? People can suddenly afford houses. Food has become inexpensive. Schools open free for all children."

"You're saying they were of his design?"

Frederick nodded but before he could say another Shakespeare smiled slyly.