Chapter 52 Bloodless

"Perhaps we should call it off."

The room became incredibly still. Hawk, known for singing praises about Verse's exploits and intellect, was going against his idol. The air in the general store became hazy, it wasn't just Hawk who doubted this plan.

"It will succeed," Verse replied. His voice was as steadfast as glacial ice but it wasn't enough to alleviate the worries of his followers. They trembled before him, new and old, the possibility he might turn on them was raised.

"Yes, but what does it achieve? We need more time to grow. If we make the Holy Maiden our figurehead we will need to clear her reputation. Can we even hide her from the church for that long? Her admission may stunt our growth."

Everyone held their breath waiting for Verse's response. A few of them could think of a few loose counters to Hawk's rebuttal but what was important was Verse's rebuttal.

"Her actions before her escape will never be forgotten. She's the strongest Valkyrie and with that power, we can-"

He cut his speech answer short and rapidly twisted his head from side to side. The members craned their heads and cupped their ears. The Holy Maiden was strong. The Holy Maiden was just. How could they use this? How did Verse plan to use this?

"Run! The meeting is closed! We've been discovered!" Verse barked.

The door burst open and in marched Schicksal guards but that wasn't who Verse focused on. After the guards came Frederick Kaslana whose expression was impassive, his awkward demeanor untraceable.

"Clown."

Verse didn't move a muscle. He was surrounded, his members caught.

"Do we business Sir Frederick?"

"No. Just orders. Come quietly."

Impenetrable smoke burst forth, and the visibility in the room was reduced to zero. Smog clogged the nostrils of those present, sharp and intoxicating, it provided the perfect momentary cover for escape. The troupe fled in all directions, out the door through the window, a trail of fog streamed from out the building.

"You're not getting away!" Fred growled.

Smoke scraped at his throat and the gas stung his eyes but his kinetic vision was untouched. His hair pricked at the slightest movements. Glass shards pinged against stone streets. Tremors, pulses, he could feel the click of pins, the crackle of clashing armor. What's more, he could feel the power of the clown. It was convoluted, solidified into a beating core. Strange. Stigmata didn't give off such a polluted sense of filth but that was just an afterthought. Frederick shot his hand forth like a viper head, his target wasn't getting away this time. Bones started to creak, and the clown's shoulder was definitely broken.

"Surrender. I've brought the night squadron. You may be able to slip them but your followers can't."

As if summoned by his words the smoke cleared enough for both of them to see the detainment of the Wings. Mask fell to the floor one by one as no one made their escape. Verse was the last one with his mask still on, he stood tall despite Frederick's crushing pressure. His body seemed to be one with the fury displayed by the clown mask.

"You steal and lie. But I'll deal with your charges later. Let's see who you are under that mask."

All eyes were on the mastermind behind Koleston's heist. Everyone was curious about the identity of the thief who ousted Otto Apocalypse from Koleston. Frederick savored this moment. He extended his other hand slowly, thinking of his triumph. After interrogation, he could clear his friend's name. Then perhaps Otto could use his familial power to pardon Kallen. No bloody war would start, and an era of peace would come. An era that brought Risa to justice, an era led by Otto Apocalypse.