Chapter 55 Checkmate

Steep and never-ending. The only fitting words to describe the tower steps. Each foothold was much too small for Otto's feet. Much too slippery for his boots. The design was uneven, much like those old cathedral towers. Coagulated air stifled his lungs as he trekked toward the tower's base. A scent more pleasant than molding stone wafted up to him. It was a shame that the vineyard's perfume accompanied someone who didn't care for the fragrance of grapes.

"You've been waiting."

No witty, posh remark came Otto's way. The lobby of the wall tower was free of witnesses. The space was dimly lit with sputtering candles whose wax was nearly spent. Yet through the darkness, Otto could see them. Risa's eyes met his victory in sight.

"Dear sister, are you not going to address your dear baby brother?"

Risa blinked. Otto's words drew a thin smile from her breathtaking face.

"The Overseer has announced Kallen's execution a week from now."

"I'm aware."

"Your sweetheart has rejected your proposal. You're meritless."

"I do not."

A chuckle escaped from Risa's lips as she continued to dig into Otto's mind.

"A fool you are. She doesn't love you. You know she confessed on the court stand. If you were there your heart would have been broken. Ah my poor baby brother, while you mourned her, she was making love with a woman. A Herscher."

"Risa, what do you offer? What should I do?"

"Oh, the heavens! My baby brother has become a cuck. How undignified. Disgraceful. But as your dear elder sister I suppose I'm to support your actions not question them."

"Please."

Risa ceased her mocking tone. She sized him up properly. Otto was limping a bit, his voice sounded desperate but his eyes didn't seem so weak. There was strength in those eyes, perhaps it was his resolve to save his sweetheart.

"I never approved of you following that heartless vixen. But all in all, it's the same. No matter who you meet you'll always be a fool. You come to deal with me, yet you have no cards."

"You poisoned the Overseer."

Risa's eye twitched but her staunch stance didn't change.

"I suppose you are versed in medicine," She muttered. "But it's a weak card. Your word holds no weight. In all realms save maybe in his, I stand above you."

"If I hold the antidote, whose side will father take?"

"The die is already cast. If needed I can set it in stone."

"So this is your final play?"

"Against you."

Otto chuckled a bit. A desolate and hopeless noise.

"I can save you two but you have to get your hands dirty. Unlike my father, I have no need for the Kaslana house. One shouldn't covet all sources of power, especially volatile ones."

Risa stepped toward the exit and motioned for Otto to follow. They toured the streets, side by side. For any other family, it would have been a cute sister and brother date. A cute little brother was treated to food by his elder sister. In return, he would carry all her purchases for her. But they made no detours, no little errands, and shared no adorable moments. This was the first time they had ever been out together. It was to be the last. Nothing was said until they made their way to the grand square before Koleston's most prestigious Cathedral.