Chapter 51 Doubts

"Is this operation worth the cost?"

Shakespeare was on the lookout for guards. She twirled her feather and circled the garrison warehouse eyes seeming glued to the inspection clipboard she carried. Her hair was dialed back in a ponytail and she wore a simple inspector's coat. A monocle covered one eye allowing for a more professional appearance.

"When has he led us astray?" Hawk replied.

He too wore the guise of professional business. The worker's hat, too large for his dome, swayed in the wind. Did the north side of this city always have this turbid air?

"He's accomplished the impossible repeatedly, but what does freeing the Holy Maiden accomplish?"

"So you're nervous. Don't worry so am I but you shouldn't make a habit of-"

"I'm not nervous Simon."

Hawk stopped in his tracks. They stood by the entrance of the arms warehouse suspiciously still. It was only thanks to Shakespeare's position, that there were no guards around. Frederick Kaslana appointed her as his aide, she just needed to say his name to wield immense power.

"What makes this operation different from our previous ones?"

"Breaking out the Holy Maiden could insight war and rebellion."

"Our troupe is already walking that fine line."

"But we rally behind the Kaslana name. If the Holy Maiden is seen as a traitor, she is detached from the family. We won't be standing behind the Kaslanas, we'll be standing behind a traitor, the church's scapegoat. Besides breaking her out is..."

"It's no different than when Verse freed you."

"The guards that imprisoned me are less than ants compared to the Valkyries that guard the Holy Maiden. I was a nobody and still am. All that distinguishes me from the crowd is my hair and even then there are plenty of redheads of my stature."

"Which is why you can play secretary with no disguise."

"If I get caught wearing a wig then won't it make me even more suspicious?"

"Don't get caught, Willia."

"You're so petty." Shakespeare hissed. She resumed her perimeter patrol huffing insults under her breath. Hawk followed not long after, pings and scratches rang from inside the warehouse. The Wings inside had completed their objective, explosive mining equipment was just acquired.

"Let's leave in ten."

"Twenty. I need to feign discovery."

"Please don't be like that I'll apologize. Let's find a quiet place to hole up and read books like old times."

"Why don't you listen to what I have to say? Then I'll accept your apology."

"Very well then," Hawk conceded. His pace quickened until they stood side by side like equals. "I'll listen."

"I'm not like you or any of the other members. I don't have the physicality to participate in all operations. Due to this, I'm able to prevent myself from being caught up in worship."

"Worship?"

"Verse is legendary, a miracle worker. But if you think about his miracles aren't they too miraculous? Discount all the information he's able to acquire. Look only at the aftermath of his actions."

"People benefit and the church retreats."

"Exactly! The church retreats! I don't doubt his allegiance but after every heist, the church remains docile. The Apocalypse family remains docile. Only Sir Kaslana is heavily against Verse. What's more, the church does nothing to punish the common folk. The taxes rose in response to the drug crisis. Not our thievery. It dropped once the issue was resolved."