Chapter 37 Boldness

"Then how should I write this sentence?" Eleanor asked shyly. She sat at her desk, painted pearl white and made of cherry wood. The end of her quill tickled her chin as she looked over her shoulder to face her sister.

Serena Schariac was a splitting image of their mother, Glory Schariac. She had willow yellow-green eyes and dirty honey-blond hair. The black and gold ornamental feather adornment all Scharaics wore, and the airs of authority, maturity even. She was basically a younger version of their mother, only her strength wasn't on the same level.

"You should be a little more truthful. Instead of writing along the lines of on this day, you should be a little more poetic. Magical pleasantries flow from quill to parchment as I wish for your undying love."

A little scoff entered Eleanor's opposing ear. It was obvious her sister was messing with her. The little girl that promised to help Eleanor win her brother's heart couldn't help but question her resolve.

"Oh please, my brother may like theatrics but if you want to speak with him you have to be blunt. He can't read minds you know? Or even between the lines. Not when things stand to benefit him, not when others give him emotional care."

"But this is straightforward little Vera. Eleanor are you sure you want to listen to this thirteen-year-old child ramble about how to find love when your big sister has already found it."

"Sis-"

"I may a young girl but I'm educated. My brother taught me all there is to know about literature and I learned it well."

"But you said it yourself that your brother is incredibly dense. So if you learned from him wouldn't you be as inadequate?"

"That doesn't remotely make sense. I know him better than all of you so I know how to get his heart. What do you know about wooing men? Huh? Were you the initiator? Did you send love letters every day?"

"I didn't need to. I had my eye on him ever since we met and I never let go."

"How young?"

"Young."

Vera could feel her frustration mounting. Serena was teasing her and she knew it but this was for Otto's happiness. If Kallen was already gone. She paused for a moment on that thought. Kallen was her sister as well. She was the one who first took Vera in. She was dumb but kind. Maybe if she had the same initiative as this vixen, she would have... No that was just a what-if scenario, a thought that would weigh Vera down for no good reason.

"Oh, you're quiet now-"

"Sera stop bullying Vera. I know she's cute and you can't resist cute things but she's helping me. So Vera how do I get him to ah respond."

"I don't know." Vera said solemnly. Kallen was on her mind. Her violet eyes paled and she left the room without so much as another puff.

"Look what you've done!"

"Ha, Eleanor if you have others write your letters for you how will fare when you talk to him face to face? You need to be honest and upfront, if he's as dense as Vera says. He's also a kind soul, even though he-"

"It's not his fault. His father forced him to. He never carried through with it anyways." Eleanor snapped subconsciously reaching for her horns.

"Right." Sera paused. It wasn't as though Serena liked Otto, she despised him in fact. Eleanor deserved better in her eyes but her mother approved of Eleanor's choice. Since it was Eleanor's choice all Serena could do was help her. Glory's judgment was almost never wrong.

"Let's look at the details then. You've helped healed his sister's arms."

"I don't want him to love me because of a favor. It was something I planned to do anyways. Vera always talked to me in that damp space. She kept me sane even though I can't remember anything but her presence."