Chapter 48 Trial

Chapter 48 Trial

The world was truly a small place, it's the details that make it seem so vast but from a bird's eye view where all details become obscure one can't help but realize the outlines weren't so complicated at all. That's what Otto pondered once Dove revealed her identity. It was only two months since he paid the price to see Kallen one last time and in that time he tailed the Kaslana Patriarch acting as his supporter from the shadows. Incidents were solved using the Kaslana name and noble families of higher power started to rally behind his name. Cain swiftly capitalized on the opportunities present and secured himself a seat at the European Council. This explosive growth was everything he wished for since the start of his mission, the church would finally deliver justice and be rid of corruption.

"My sister is doing all she can but she's struggling within the social circles. The position she wishes to win back is being withheld on the suspicions that she's in league with the Burrus family. Though those above the knew differently, it was the middle and lower-class nobles that gave her grief. I can't believe they would use his death this way, he wasn't a terrible person."

"Who was this person?"

"A priest Will perhaps be the only member of the Apocalypse family that has a human heart. Or at least the only one you would consider to have a human heart. I know you're hell-bent on the Holy Son. What a pretentious title."

From the cover of his clown mask, Otto scrunched his eyes. What was implied by Dove was far from what he planned, she was kind of like Shakespeare. Doubtful that Otto Apocalypse was the monster he preached about. This had to change.

"It seems the only way your Fienre family can seek help is to ask a family of a higher power. Perhaps you should find a husband, if you have a little brother you can find a wife as well."

"A nigh impossible task we can't trust any family. Or most of them and only a select few can have the power to rid our family of this suspicion."

"Such as?"

"The Apocalypse family is one, but you know the reasons we can't deal with such power. Of course in Spain there's the Valentines but they're having their own troubles."

"Why not the Kaslana family?"

"Hah a prime suggestion but isn't Cain grabbing power? One wrong move and his credibility can fall from grace. Besides my sister... never mind her. If the Apocalypse family ties the death of the Will to the Kaslana family then the future you wish for will be even harder to achieve."

"I see," Otto said. He leaned back against the broken lamppost that clouded the streets of Paris. Joy Fienre moved skittishly over the cracked glass below, her family situation was one matter but another had just reached her ears earlier today. Her reporter's instincts kicked in but even she knew some secrets were best kept for the ears of a select few.

"Then I suppose your family will face some rough times. If there's a definitive way you can prove your innocence then-"

"That won't be possible." Came a haughty voice. Out of the shadows came a proud figure she didn't bother hiding her face or her sharp features. She was the associate Dove spoke of and the answer she provided couldn't be doubted.

"Lady Burrus." Otto bowed.

"Sir Verse." Camila curtsied.

"It seems the Fienre family must hang low for the time being. Does your sister know of this matter?"

"Of course not," Joy replied. "They wouldn't get along."

"It was my fault at the time. I meddled a bit with her love life. With Sir Frederick."