Chapter 26 Her Legacy

"I can't tell what you're thinking." Frederick Kaslana said with a sigh. There he sat in the confines of his own home, hosting a new friend. A man with long flowing golden hair that was tied up in death's image.

Otto Apocalypse smirked but gave no response. His plush lips sipped the exquisite tea Frederick provided. Earl Gray, soothing and delightful, such a fragrant aroma was something he much needed in such times.

New experiences, like lounging on a couch of the most contemporary design, were enough for Otto to keep a part of himself alive. This pleasant moment of rest came at the expense of Frederick Kaslana's patience.

"Aren't you too dignified? Pinky raised, back straightened, and eyes closed every time you take the tiniest sip. You're even more extra than Will!"

"We just enjoy the finer things in life."

"But a man should be stoic and gruff. Not so..."

"So?"

"So posh! Like noble women. Yes, your mannerisms match that of a noble girl!"

"Ha, are you charmed? Oh, you have a fiance, right? How would she feel if you start having feelings for another? A man at that?"

"Only your etiquette is like a noble woman. Everything else, your voice, the way you carry yourself, and your... your er..."

"My beauty?"

"Stop that! What's the purpose of your visit?" Frederick huffed.

Otto smiled knowingly as he set aside his cup. Frederick Kaslana. He was Kallen's cousin. They all had the same habit when they got mildly annoyed. They would fold their arms and turn their heads some other way. Kallen would always turn her head to the side in an elevated direction. Frederick was different in this respect. His head turned to the floor. The carpet under the two couches they lounged on crinkled under his exasperated gaze.

"I've heard you've gotten a job offer to teach at the Aldrich Academy and I would like to offer you another opportunity. I'm turning my family's estate into an orphanage."

"I have no intention of becoming a priest."

"There will be no priest in the orphanage. Besides, I'm not hiring you. I'm hiring your fiance. The Lance, former seventh rank Valkyrie."

Frederick's eyes shot open. For the first time, he took an offensive stance against a brother of Will. He reached for his saber by his side only to remember that he had left it in his own room.

"Please, I'm not stupid. According to the reports on your activities in Paris, you went to have talks with the Fienre family. After being kicked out eighty consecutive times in a row."

"Twenty-two!"

"You established a friendly relationship with Adrienne Fienre. You two fought together to defend several Honkai assaults. Luckily for you two they only noted that you were friendly acquaintances at best. There's also one note where you two dine and dashed to catch some thief of some sort."

"Well, how did you even know that we were engaged?"

"I got a report of a certain scuffle a few weeks ago and connected the dots. You don't have to worry, it's not from a source that's under my father's control."

"Then are you under your sister's control?"

"My sister's? So you know her position. She's always been power hungry."

"So you're not under her control. Then why are you trying to blackmail me?"

"My apologies. It was not my intention. Frederick, simply put I need a Valkyrie instructor."