Chapter 76 Engelmann

"Mother, what aren't you telling me?"

The sun was sinfully bright and the blades of grass that heralded the coming spring stood straight under the sparse trees that adjoined the path. Horse hooves clopped, dust flaked their irons, and the wind was eerily still. A delegation a hundred strong trotted at a moderate pace.

"It's nothing to worry about. I'll explain the circumstances at a later date." Glory replied.

She sat atop a majestic steed, a powerful horse over two meters tall. Her daughter Eleanor had mounted another horse of similar stature. It didn't suit her petite frame but Eleanor was growing, soon enough she would reach at least her mother's nose.

"It's always later. You've received a letter from him yet you won't tell or show me its contents. Dangerous factions are in our home. I did a little investigation I ousted the Fulber count family for crimes related to embezzlement. We have spies in our cities. I shifted through thousands of records to list and identify potential suspects. The investigation mind you has helped uncover several church-planted officials hidden in the high court. I also-"

"Ellie I know you've been training hard. You've shown that you're plenty capable of handling yourself and a group of people under you. I couldn't be prouder but there are some things you have to let slide. As your mother, I have to know that you're safe. I can't thrust you into danger if I can't help it."

Eleanor pouted. She crossed her arms and fumed under her breath. If it were any other day Glory would have smiled at the sight of seeing her daughter act so selfish. Aside from Eleanor, another girl who listened in on the conversation questioned Glory with lilac eyes. Vera was as sharp as ever, it was her collaboration with Eleanor that had made Germany a safer place within the past months.

"Duchess-"

"You should get rid of your habit of addressing nobility. How many times must I ask you to call me something more endearing? Teacher? Glory? Anyone of those is fine."

"Forgive me, esteemed teacher. But where is my brother? You said he disappeared two months ago. If we are heading to Koleston out of his request what are we doing there? He's written back to Eleanor, cautious not to hurt her but he makes it clear she should find someone better than him. We've also passed a few towns, rumors of my sister's revival, and her execution."

Glory read between the lines. Of course, she was able to doctor the information her daughter received but she couldn't censor the mouths of the people. It was Vera's mind that was too astute. She was a great student but she was always suspicious, too suspicious.

"How do you know Otto was the one who called me to Koleston?"

"Who else could move the Head of the Schariac family out of her country?"

"I could have other connections."

"While scouring the historic records I've noticed the sparse times you've visited Koleston. Most of your businesses outside of Germany lie in the south. One has branches in Koleston but its main branch is in Cologne. I don't have to continue do I?"

"No, you don't." Glory grumbled.

Of course, she coordinated with Otto. He made sure that certain powers were stabilized for the Scharaic family. He also checked a few of their investments in France. Nothing too deep but just the basics for trust. The letter she received was months old, written the day he asked for her help in exchange for Eleanor's safe trip home. The end was built in his image.

"Then he's in Koleston? Will I meet him? I..." Eleanor asked.

"Worried about Kallen, captain?"

Eleanor's group trotting behind her drew faces of concern. In the past few months, they had helped Eleanor establish herself. They were as close as ever, just like the times when they fought Honkai beasts under Eleanor's command. It was clear where their loyalties were, else Glory would not have let them so close.