Chapter 15 Plans

"So what's your plan?"

Vera's voice was coarse and rough, akin to hot coals grating against each other. Her head had turned weakly to face her dear brother. A daunting task because she couldn't feel the soft silky sheets or the comfort of the plush springboarded mattress. But she pushed through the quakes of pain that shot up her nervous system. Her eyes shone contrary to her body, intense with the flickers of brave flames.

"I don't have one."

"They why send me away? If you're not going to stir the hornet's nest, why are you sending me away?"

"It's to keep you safe, Vera."

"But it won't make me happy."

"Why is that?"

"Because you're a fool. A fool. Kallen would agree with me. She would understand, that everything you do, you can't hide it all away, especially from those that can help you."

"Vera I'll be safe. I'll be fine."

"Liar! You always lie Otto, you always hide everything behind that smile of yours. I know that you've already formed your plan from the start. You're still when I mention her name. You're not heartless, you're,"

An unexpected knock interrupted Vera mid-speech. Even then she was already squeezing out the last drops of strength she had to speak her mind. Otto noticed the signs, the wavering lashes, and the slow turn back to the face-up position. He administered as much medical aid as he could before she puffed herself back to sleep.

Through the door came five figures. Glory and Eleanor were expected but Eleanor's friends weren't. Cathy, Alice, and .... Was it Cohline? Yes they were also in the transport he suggested for Eleanor's departure that was scheduled for tomorrow, but they weren't supposed to find out about Eleanor's revival until they were in Germany.

"Make yourself at home girls, but silently." Glory glanced at Otto's confused expression and hastily added another set of sentences. "As luck would have it Eleanor ran into them when she just awakened."

Otto's eyes flashed briefly with understanding, no wonder there were no reports of confronting the mysterious beast that appeared in the city. Even within his own house, few servants had seen a blur dashing by but made nothing of it. Besides Eleanor had escaped through the path Otto himself designed, an underground transport for various Honkai Beast corpses he experimented on. One couldn't exactly have dead beasts hustled through the cramped gates and the even more cramped doors of Apocalypse Mansion. Forget the practicality even the spectacle in it itself couldn't be seen by the public for obvious reasons.

"What matters is that all of you are safe. But you're injured. Let me treat you before we talk."

Idle minutes passed as Otto stitched up Eleanor and her friends. There was much to say but all present were enamored by his peerless skill. For Eleanor, it was a habitual indulgence, the way his hands curved and wove skin together was more brilliant than any sonata a pianist could play. For her friends, it was an accolade that bolstered his reputation as Europe's Holy Son. For Glory, it was an in-depth look into a flawed child, who at the moment seemed incapable of even harming a fly.

"Careful your shoulder. It's a shallow cut but it's reached just past the Dermis."

"The what?"

"A tissue layer. Eleanor, just what did you encounter to sustain such injuries."

"Why do you care?" Eleanor snapped, her body squirming to his touch.

Otto didn't respond but continued to treat Eleanor in silence. It was as if nothing happened but everyone noticed that Eleanor got a bit of extra care. Otto checked her condition twice, he made sure he had procured the freshest and most sterile of tools for her operation. He even offered her a glass of water. When he was finished he didn't meet any of them in the eyes except for Glory.