Chapter 50 Ties

"This will be your cell."

No response was given but that didn't irritate Risa in the slightest. The eve of her greatest triumph was near, the European council was under her thumb now and her father's inner circle would fall in line next. Once she gained Otto's cooperation she would create the greatest army the world had ever seen.

"Miss Kaslana, why don't you bend the knee? Swear your fealty to me and together we can create an era of peace."

Kallen again didn't respond to Risa's words. Her blue eyes had turned desolate grey, she indeed wasn't as talkative as before. Risa remembered Kallen to be quite devious. Always pulling baby Otto into whatever trouble she caused.

"So that's a no? Poor choice."

Risa fanned away the silent air as Kallen took in the surroundings of her new cell if any could call it a cell. Other than the steel bars and the high window the space could not be classified as such. The floor and walls were made of cobbled stone and furnished with the highest quality wax. A private room for washing and business took up one corner and a bed all commoners would kill to have occupied much of the space. Discounting the books and the desk burdened with luxurious items such as jewelry and a mirror, the room was that of a low-class noblewoman. The rug, the makeup, and the servants' bell that sat on the nightstand were staples in any highborn daughter's room.

"My dear baby brother would end me if I prepared anything less. If you have anything you desire-"

"Otto. Where is he?"

"In hiding," Risa smirked. "I'm certain he'll visit soon enough."

Kallen didn't respond. All this comfort before her was meaningless. She sat on the frigid stone floors by the icy steel bars. Even so, the winter frost didn't bother her. She was waiting, all she could do was wait. The steel bars closed softly trapping her within like a fairy on display.

"Otto," Kallen whispered. She clutched the ring he gave her. Despite everything she learned it was impossibly warm to the touch. A gentle kindle of sunlit flames.

When she was far from Kallen's senses Risa finally dropped her sweet manner. The tower's staircase was quite the uneven trek, slanted on some steps, and impossibly steep on others.

"Sophia, I welcome you into my family."

The Petal beside her bowed respectfully. A tricky maneuver, given the frictionless nature of the steps. The tall Valkyrie that trailed behind the two stopped to observe their interaction.

"It is the greatest honor I don't deserve."

"Too humble. Your work within the inner circle has done wonders. More than half side with the Black Rose. I'll be playing both sides now and when you take on the Apocalypse name you'll become the Overseer. No mistakes and you'll keep your position."

"Yes, my lady."

Despite her polite worshipper's tone, the traces of excitement in her words were all too clear for Risa and the Third to hear. Let her experience this success, she was instrumental in the coming schemes.

"Before you become the adopted child do check on my father's condition. A daughter can't help but be worried for his fading health."

"Yes, my lady."

The Petal was gone in a flash leaving nothing but a fiber behind. The Third stepped closer beside Risa, no longer hiding her rank.

"Do you have anything to say?"

"No. But I do feel prideful. You walk your mother's path better than she did."

"So it's not like her."