Chapter 33 Cross

"You're too reckless. If my mother hadn't been there you would have perished!"

"Nevermind that Fred."

"You want me not to mind? Good heavens! Do you see how everyone is worried for you? Sasha nearly went after the thief herself. You're not handling this situation well at all. You're not taking care of yourself. Stigmaless and you still choose to risk your life-"

"Trisha and Jesse were in danger," Otto snapped "Besides I,"

He unconsciously rubbed the back base of his neck.

"I came out alright. If it's to protect them. To protect the weak, I would certainly die for them."

"You-"

"As for Sasha, I've talked to her accordingly. In the months I've been back there's not one instance where I've truly been in danger."

"That's a lie. An emperor clash Honkai beast nearly charged you down. You're clearly shaken."

"You can tell when I lie?"

"I... Yes to some extent, but why is this information important?"

"It's not. But Frederick as much as I'd like to sit in this guest room of yours and chat the night away I have duties to attend to."

"Your arm is lightly fractured, you're not going anywhere."

"I'm needed elsewhere Fred, am I not to handle all the affairs of the city behind a desk? Am I not to keep updated on the latest happenings in my city? While on this point how goes your investigation?"

"Unfruitful. I don't know how they've managed to hide away from our watchful eyes. The thief is ever so elusive but I think I broke his right arm. Funnily enough, it's the same arm you injured today. Bah, what a coincidence."

"A coincidence indeed. But don't you think that thief would hide after suffering such an injury? Don't focus on the man right now let's unearth the dealers first."

Frederick sighed, Otto's words were truthful and focused just like Adrienne's. Perhaps he was letting his emotions guide his actions too much.

"I've not yet discovered the child who sells the soap. In fact, though the cases have died down, there are a few troublesome kids that found sources off the streets. We've hunted everyone down yet new ones surface all the time. Thanks to your medicine no child has died as of yet. But I can't understand why they would give up safety for a drug."

"Children can be foolish. Well anyone can be foolish but the children have suffered quite a bit. No matter how we run our schools. No matter how much time we've spent with them, the scars of the past will remain. To escape them, they would resort to such terrible measures. Which is why it's our priority to cut the root and stamp out its toxic peddles."

"Don't look at me so intensely. I'll find the bastards before I confront the thief. I swear on my Kaslana oath."

"You never took the oath."

"I... that's true. I guess I have too much to live for. But one doesn't need to take the oath to be a good person or a hero. I'm willing to bet Uncle Fran never taught you this, he only taught you the weight of Shamash's Judgement."

"I was a child then. He'd never put the burden on a child."

Fred hung his head for just a moment as reminisced about the times he spent with his uncle.

"Frederick, you've got a good head on your shoulders but in some ways, you're too rash."

"That's impossible mother said I take after my father."