Chapter 29 God's Plan

Swords clashed in the dusty training fields beside the Kaslana family estate. A day off from school. Or so it was set. In a week children only need to attend classes for a total of four days. This schedule was implemented to allow them to spend time with their parents and do whatever else they pleased. A few family events had been organized for the sake of encouraging this family togetherness. The organizer's identity was unknown. But among those events was a certain toy festival, dolls, stuffed animals, light wooden swords, and other various gimmick delights. A spinning top was a great attraction and already a few of the elder children were using what they learned in class to improve the iterations.

They developed launchers pulled by a string. A stadium rough the size of a medium crate was rounded smooth to let the tops clash. "Let it rip!" was a phrase that was commonly heard throughout the school grounds. Rumor has it that there were even convert tournaments forming during school after hours.

However, all this progress and joy was unable to wipe that sour look off Frederick Kaslana's face. He was locked in an idle spar with a good friend of his that was somehow more annoying than Will. Otto calmly went through the motions of refining his technique. It was slow and mundane for Fred who had one of the most dominant stigmata in history, the Kaslana stigma.

A flick of Fred's wrist sent the saber in Otto's hand flying several meters back. It dug itself deep in the dirt and Otto didn't bother to pick it up. He sweating lightly in the sun, the droplets almost gave him the fresh shower look. Kallen would have eaten him up if she was there. Not a small amount of men and women would have as well.

Fred in stark contrast hadn't even broken a sweat. His face held a scowl of annoyance but that didn't stop him from helping Otto stabilize. Fred had used a bit too much power in his last swing.

"I don't know why you insist on fighting with gloves."

"I don't have impenetrable skin. Gloves serve me well."

"And the saber doesn't. You aren't suited to be wielding this weapon. Maybe it's due to some injuries or habits you picked up while away but your fighting style is a bit more on the heavy side. I'd say it's crude. Your efficiency is based on your experiences. Marcus, despite being such a brute, was more elegant in the sword than you are. Even though his main weapon wasn't even a sword."

"Then what do you suggest I wield?"

"A greatsword or even a spear. No never mind not a spear. The reason being is that your stamina is nonexistent. You seem used to having a great impact with every swing or every action. Like an assassin."

"Assasins don't fight in that matter. Don't confuse those stories with reality."

"Well, then how do they fight? No, that's not important. We're focusing on how you fight. Experience has already molded you to fight a certain way. You can't fight a prolonged fight and you aren't versed well in close quarters. Maybe the style that's best for you is to use a greatsword like a shield. Block then strike."

"Won't I be incredibly slow? You also don't have experience wielding a great sword."

"That's true. It's just that-"

"That?"

"No never mind,"  Fred said shaking off all the annoyance he could. 'You fight like uncle Francis.' Fred thought. 'Though not as elegantly.'

"I see, so something is annoying you?"

"Is it that obvious?"

"Glaringly so. You're not too perceptive."

"Will said much the same. Aren't you nervous though?"

"They've sent their calling card I've set up the guards. It's funny I sent my own letter to warn the priest of Kallen's arrival. She went along with it. I was playing, she was serious."